cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Solve an integral in terms of a constant

tv-2
1-Newbie

Solve an integral in terms of a constant

How would I go about solving an intergral in terms of an undefined constant, such as

(sqrt(a*x)-(x^2)/a)dx from 0 to a, in terms of a?

I really have no idea and any help would be appreciated

2 REPLIES 2
ValeryOchkov
24-Ruby IV
(To:tv-2)

int.png

Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:tv-2)

Taylor V schrieb:

How would I go about solving an intergral in terms of an undefined constant, such as

(sqrt(a*x)-(x^2)/a)dx from 0 to a, in terms of a?

I really have no idea and any help would be appreciated

While you would have to use the symbolic evaluation (because a is unknown at the time of eval) you can make the result a function and use it numerically the "normal" way as you would do with a function you just type in. You may evaluate it at specific points, plot it, take the derivative or whatever.

In the example you have given it helps to tell the symbolic engine in Mathcad that a should be greater than 0 (which I guess is what you want). Otherwise Mathcad has to deal with all possibilities as a could be negative or even complex and has to consider that in its solutions. That often results in rather unhandy, complex and unsuspected sophisticated expressions.

Integral_a.png

Edit: Sorry, I just see that the function I typed is not exactly the one you specified, but I think you got the point and can change the 2 for an a yourself.

Top Tags