cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Planetary gear design

DavidKhan
1-Newbie

Planetary gear design

Hi all

i would like to know how to create a planetry gear reducer.I have modeled all the parts but their mechanism gives problem.

Scenario is that i have a planetry gear head with 5 rows of planetry carriers for a reduction of 1:625.each row has three planetry gear.

Now i have made a sub assembly of Sun gear,planetry gear,and planetry carrier and the gear connection between sun and planetry are correct

BUT the gear connection between the RING gear and the PLANETRY gear is not successful.

NOTE:RING gear is stationary part.

Kindly tell me proper method of correcting these connection.or refer me to some tutorial regarding this issue.

If someone have Planetry gear asembly.kindly email it to - so that i can see the mechanism in action and reverse it to correct my own.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
9 REPLIES 9

I had a similar problem with a ball bearing. Radial bearings are in essence planetary gears.

Have a look at this: Radial Ball Bearing: Checking your mechanism links

If you have the full version of Creo 2, I can attach the file if you like.

In class we mock a spirograph. We have a stationary ring gear, and to get the internal to spin around, we use a "dummy plate" that is pin connected to the ring, and the spur gear is pinned to a hole in the dummy plate.

Kate Leipold

you are correct but that it would be good if someone elaborate it more in term of proper constarints for all the components and stationary ring gear.

absolutely. My main point was that there needs to be to pin pairs. I do have an old planetary gearbox somewhere. I should look that up.

Hi David,

Did you solve this yet. I have just managed to het a sperical roller bearing working. It was a matter of assembling things in the correct order (fixed gear (outer race in my case) first) and including the planet axes in the carrier part.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:rlewis)

Welcome to the forum, Roderick.

Did you confirm the ratios you are using are correct? That was a bigger problem for me than setting up the rest of the bearing file. It "looked" okay until I tried to confirm it.

Thanks Roderick

I have not solved that problem yet.I would like to reverse your mechanism and learn it if you provide it.

Hi David,

If you are still trying to figure out how to set your planetary gear set, this tutorial may help! It's a bit hard to see the last gear mechanism however.

Tutorial on how to mesh gears to create epicyclic gear mechnism in pro engineer creo - YouTube

I've just finished a university project that required a planetary gear set, and I found that as Roderick stated, its in the order of assembling gear mechanisms. I started with the planet gears as they were my drivers, and then attached each one to the sun gear as per normal gear assembly.

Then I connected one of the planet gears to a second pin mechanism along the same axis as the sun. For example, one connection was a pin connection between the sun and the sun shaft, another to the planetary carrier, it just depended on the setup. The ring gear was fixed at the start in the assembly, and I attached the sun gears along it's axis and in reference to it.

Hope it helps! Someone else might as well benefit from this extended suffering while figuring it out!

Top Tags