cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Weighted links - co-linear points

346gnu
12-Amethyst

Weighted links - co-linear points

Hi,

Why can't we have co-linear points on the independent side of a weighted link?

It's easy to get the warning message

'The independent geometric entities must not form co-linear points'

by selecting any 2 points for the dependent side (must form a straight line),

This is CREO2.0 M030 (I don't have any other versions with me to check)

Thanks

Thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4
echan
1-Newbie
(To:346gnu)

Hi Charles:

The independent side of a weighted link can't have collinear geometries (points or curves) because mathematically, the displacements and rotations of the dependent point are tied to the displacements of the independent geometries. If the geometries of the independent side are collinear, one or more of the dofs on the dependent point won't be tied correctly.

Eduardo

346gnu
12-Amethyst
(To:echan)

Eduardo,

I don't understand yet, Can you explain a bit more?

Thanks

Hi Charles,

Eduardo is on vacation, so I'll answer for him.

The motion of the independent side of a weighted link must be able to define a rigid body motion. The motion of just two points (or a set of colinear points) cannot define the rotation about an axis passing through those points. Therefore, the independent side of a weighted link must consist of at least three non-colinear points.

Tad Doxsee

PTC

346gnu
12-Amethyst
(To:TadDoxsee)

got it, Thanks

Top Tags