cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Creo 2.0 Run Faster????

ptc-5207903
1-Newbie

Creo 2.0 Run Faster????

Hello,

I have a very fast computer (3.6Ghz Xenon Processor with 40GB of RAM) and Creo will not run any faster than it does on my simple laptop computer.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas that will help improve the performance of the software? I can't even get my model to spin without taking several minutes. Surely, there is a way to utilize the full capability of my machine.

ANY ideas or suggestions are welcome and much appreciated. Thanks.

Ryan

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5
creodential
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-5207903)

Hi Ryan,

you need a powerful graphics card that uses OpenGL, but even this does not help, if your display settings are too challenging. Then, with a medium range graphics card (i.e. nvidia quadro fx 2000) you'll want to use shaded view instead of wireframe, because those won't get boosted by OpenGL of course.

These are basically the default settings, but under normal circumstances, they should work fine:

display_silhouette_edges no

edge_display_quality normal

smooth_lines no

max_animation_time 0.0

shade_quality 3

This one is a must have, but needs some performance

skip_small_surfaces no

With a high performance graphics card, i.e. nvidia quadro 4000, the issues with wireframes and silhouettes are gone, too.

SylvainA.
4-Participant
(To:creodential)

I meet the same issue on a xeon quad core 3GHz + quadro FX1700 workstation.

I first thought it was a graphic card issue, but I have noticed that spinning an assembly is jaggy in WF5 while it is smooth in productview (for a comparable display quality).

Could it be a software (un)optimization issue ?

I have been told it's the network, memory, graphics car ect.. PTC just needs to make it run faster period. This is ridiculous.

Hello Marty,

there is no such a thing like "general speed", which can be slower or faster in Creo, like it would be with a game or when playing a video or when doing a benchmark.

There are very diverse models, use cases and run settings on one side and there are different bottlenecks on the other, like for example:

• When regenerating complex parts, the CPU speed is crucial - multiple CPUs don't help much.
  • But when doing Photorendering or Simulation calculations in Creo, speed almost scales with the number of CPUs.
  • When spinning shaded models, only the graphics card makes the difference, CPU is irrelevant
  • When spinning in hiddenline or no hidden mode, it is just the opposite, CPU speed counts
  • When running out of system memory or out of dedicated graphics memory, the computer starts paging (swapping) lowering performance about factor 5-10(!)
  • Processes that frequently write to disk are slowed by disk speed and if they write to mapped drives this can become really tedious.
  • Stalled internet connections (e,g, in the internal browser, but sometimes just an OS process in the background of the OS) can make a session hang for several seconds
  • Of course there are any number of mixed cases as well.

Hence all you have been told about network, memory, graphics card, etc., is surely correct in one or more contexts and irrelevant in others - this is what makes it so difficult.

As a consequence, when troubleshooting performance being slower than expeced, the first thing is to evaluate, what exactly are the actions and the environment, what are your expectations and what is the observed speed.

Only then a meaningful diagnosis and recommendations are possible.

For example:

• For the original concern with slow spinning, I'd guess the graphics is hidden line or nonhidden, which will not make much use of the graphics and calculate the hidden lines by CPU.
  • As for Silvain's observation: Creo spins "real" geometry you can model if you want, while Productview is only using a mockup (triangulated surfaces), which is quite faster for displaying.

Regards,

Gunter

RaphMORIN
13-Aquamarine
(To:ptc-5207903)

My hard disk crashed a few months ago. It has been changed by a SSD drive, since I have observed a great improvment of my computer performances !!

Top Tags