cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

3D printing

rpackham
1-Newbie

3D printing

We are ready to purchas a 3D printer so we can print some of our custom parts for this season. We've narrowed our search down to the Maker Bot Replicator, and the MakerGear printers. Does anyone out there have experience with either of these printers, or have a suggestion of an even better device to print from?

Thanks for any tips.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I have been using a MakerGear M2 3D printer for the last year with students in our FRC robotics program (team 4230). I have been very happy with the build quality and the 'open-source' model of MakerGear. Any repairs or maintenance is relatively easy. And MakerGear support has been immediate -- they individually and quickly answer any questions I have, even if they are 'beginner' questions.

I highly recommend MakerGear.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:rpackham)

I don't own one myself, but I suppose it depends on what's driving your decision.

• Size
  • Material
  • Quality
  • Cost

You could give this Buyer's Guide a quick review. We've had a number of 3D Systems machines at PTC over the years.

rpackham
1-Newbie
(To:sm)

Thanks for the tip Scott. 3D systems was on my list of top 5.

We've decided to go with the MakerGear setup as it addresses many of our needs: heated bed, multiple options for print materials, great cust. support, and of course, cost....

I'll keep you posted on our experience.

JoshH
3-Visitor
(To:rpackham)

Hi Ryan,

I'm curious if you've checked for local resellers of 3D printers? Sometimes they will cut good deals for educators with the added bonus of supporting the product.

rpackham
1-Newbie
(To:JoshH)

No, I haven't. Good idea though.

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:sm)

For anyone considering 3D Printing or wouldl like to know more about it, check out this webcast from ENGINEERING.com @ http://www.engineering.com/ResourceDownload/AdditiveManufacturing101.aspx

I know you've now made your decision, but I thought I'd weigh in on MakerBot Replicators.

My team/school recently acquired two MakerBot Replicator 2 printers, and we've been very happy... with the one that works. The entire process from a Creo model to having a print is relatively pain-free, and we've been very happy with model quality. Once we get into build season, we'll see how well it holds up...

I have been using a MakerGear M2 3D printer for the last year with students in our FRC robotics program (team 4230). I have been very happy with the build quality and the 'open-source' model of MakerGear. Any repairs or maintenance is relatively easy. And MakerGear support has been immediate -- they individually and quickly answer any questions I have, even if they are 'beginner' questions.

I highly recommend MakerGear.

Be sure to follow the 3D Printing articles on the FTC Blog.

http://firsttechchallenge.blogspot.com/2015/01/3d-printing-for-first-teams-1-of-8_13.html

Top Tags