cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Opening .igs or .stp files in CREO with the geometry in the tree.

ptc-4946332
1-Newbie

Opening .igs or .stp files in CREO with the geometry in the tree.

When opening .igs or .stp files in CREO the software places all of the geometry in an "Import Feature id". This is inconvenient because as i try to select them or hide them they are all combined together. I have tried many different types of settings in the open file menu as well as tried fruitlessly to "Edit Definition" . The "Edit Definition" function will allow me to show the individual geometry of the surfaces and datums but if I try to hide them in this function the reappear as son as I exit.

My question is this. is there a way to either open the files with the geometry in the tree or cut and past the geometry to the tree so i can manipulate it. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matthew.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7

STEP & IGES files contain no feature data, only geometry. There's no way to automatically bring in a full feature tree in to any CAD software.

Creo does have a feature recognition tool that is supposed to be able to create features out of imported geometry, but I've not played with it to know how good or easy it is.

It works great in demos.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

I understand that .igs and .stp (and many files of this type) are dumb solids and have no features. This is not the issue. The issue is that when I open them in CREO the geometry shows up in an "import feature" of its own that is separate from the main tree. I cannot individually hide and show separate planes, surfaces and datums as I work. For instance importing a Powerinspect chassis inspection .igs file into the original CREO chassis model. The Powerinspect .igs file is either on or off. I cannot "click on a surface" to hide just that surface even if I activate that part. If the geometry was in the main tree I think I could. Unless there is another way I am overlooking.

MLC

You can copy/paste surfaces which can be individually managed and then hide the import.

You can also use Import Data Doctor to remove surfaces from the import.

BillRyan
15-Moonstone
(To:ptc-4946332)

There are two options from PTC for this scenario.

1) Use flexible modeling - this is specifically created to enable you to modify geometry.

2) Wait for Creo 3 where THA(Truly Heterogeneous Assembly) functionality comes out so you can assemble native files instead of wasting time exporting/importing STEP/IGES files.

These two options may not be viable for you at this time, but something to keep in mind as the solution PTC is providing for this use case.

Can you perform an assembly cut on the surface you want to selectively remove?

If you worked in Powershape, then you came from a hybrid system. Creo is a solid modeler, the way it works is a little different from hybrid cad softwares.

Usually if we import a file, the first thing is to check is if it is closed (solid) or open (surfaces/quilts)model . If it is open then, inside IDD we must repair it.

You can use layers to hide/show/isolate datums, curves,surfaces and solids. Just create a layer, add items to it, and then choose what you want to do with it:PRT0008+%28Active%29+d__ProgramData_creo_startin_prt0008.prt.1+-+Creo+Parametric+2.0_2014-03-18_21-57-55.png

Now, this has some limitations: You cannot hide surfaces that belong to a solid model.

Jose

Here is a example of using layers:

Video Link : 4823

Top Tags