cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Pattern Boundary Blend Surface

ptc-5498717
1-Newbie

Pattern Boundary Blend Surface

Hi,

I want to check if it is possible to pattern a boundary blend?

I tried doing this. The pattern would fail, I have to use Geormetry pattern instead.

I have a rectangle cut on a surface. I used boundary blend to blend. I can pattern the sketch, trim, but not boundary blend.

Is there a way to do this?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks. I got it to work. I created the surface blend once first then create the pattern, then I go back and pattern the sketches, trim and sketch. That sims to fixed it.

I tried to group and pattern first, then create the blend then pattern. That did not seam to work.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Hi HH,

Boundary blend can pattern in a part. Possible reason for failure can be part accuracy, try to change the accuracy of part and check if that helps you.

Blend.jpg

Regards,

Mahesh

Thanks. I got it to work. I created the surface blend once first then create the pattern, then I go back and pattern the sketches, trim and sketch. That sims to fixed it.

I tried to group and pattern first, then create the blend then pattern. That did not seam to work.

Patterns can be fussy. Just changing a single reference can make a failed pattern function again.

I've had instances where on one side of a part I gouped features, then patterend them, and on the other side it didn't work. So I patterened the first feature, then reference patterned the rest and it worked.

Pro/WORKAROUND at it's finest!

My question, is if you're making a bottle (and not just doing a learning demo), why go thru the trouble to make a Boundary Blend for those cuts (I assume, like the video)? You can make a very similar shape without all that baggage by simply making a cut, circular or elliptical if viewed from the top and use a round. You can even get tricky and use a variable radius round. Boundary blends are finnicky at the best of times, best to avoid them as much as you can in the real world.

...or just sweep a surface through the bottle quilt, pattern them, and then merge them.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Yup. For those little indents, in the real world, I'd never use a BB. But, as I mentioned I think he was trying a demo or lesson.

Boundary blend works well. I build those features in a few minutes. You just need to do it right.

It is very good to build complex shapes. You can build really specific shape form that you need.

Basic cuts and radius are boring.

They work well, when they work. I've gotten enough errors (curves don't form closed loop) when I KNOW they did to not trust them 100%. Also, they take up more disk size are are more compolicated math. For a couple simple cuts on a bottle, why? You can get 99% of what that BB did as a cut and a round. Simpler.

This bottle complex enough for you (note the increasing thickness near the "finish" or top, just like in the real world)?

X-SEC_20oz_BOTTLE1.JPG

If you work at the surface level. You can do that fine.

Sweep model. Thanks. =]

Never seen a coke bottle with a handle.

It was a prototype for a guy that wanted to submit it to an *Ahem!* well-known beverage brand. Difficult model, but very fun and challenging. And, as complicated as it was, I don't remember doing a single boundary blend on it, just swept cuts and such.

Top Tags