cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

does anyone have an optics example they can share which ...

jsheehan
1-Newbie

does anyone have an optics example they can share which ...

We need to do an optical model that creates an exponential or linear taper based on cross sectional diameter over length. I was hoping that this would help with this, but I haven’t spent much time on it yet.

6 REPLIES 6
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:jsheehan)

It's not clear to me what you mean. Can you elaborate?

I think he is looking for a beam to be shaped two ways:

1.) Linear with a starting shape (let's assume circular), and then shrink or grow over N stages.

2.) Starting shape will grow or shrink exponetially without going negative over N stages.

I'm picturing an array of circles changing size, eventually rendered as a blended surface.

I can ask him for more definition

Is this something Optical Engineers would find useful? I have seen hardware devices advertised to this with cables, when I google.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:jsheehan)

Sorry, but I'm stilll confused.

First, is this a Mathcad question, or a Creo question? I ask because you mention that it would eventually be rendered.

Beams don't shrink or grow in stages, and they don't grow exponentially. A focused beam grows linearly, except near the focus if it's a Gaussian beam (i.e. a focused laser). Unless you mean as the beam passes through various optical components, but then although it does "grow" in stages, there is no set mathematical description of that growth.

I have seen hardware devices advertised to this with cables, when I google.

Could you point me to a couple of examples. I think that would help.

Hey Richard,

I am waiting to hear back from the user. What I found on google could be completely wrong, so let's wait for more definition on the problem. Thanks

John

Hi John,

Maybe that article "Theoretical, Numerical, and Experimental Analysis of Optical Fiber Tapering" in the attachment will be useful for you.

Vladmir,

Thanks so much. After reading first page I believe the customer is looking to shape the fiber not a beam.Again, I will wait till he responds, but thanks for this. New homework assignment.

John

Top Tags