cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

File unrecoverable?

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

File unrecoverable?

Hello to all!

After an unknown error, the original file has assumed a zero length and has been created a temporary file with name MFCxx.temp. Although I have a backup drive always on, Someone knows what to do to recover the original file xmcd?

Thank you very much

F. M.

10 REPLIES 10
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:-MFra-)

Prime or real Mathcad?

If Mathcad, have you turned on the autosave feature?

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:Werner_E)

...simply... mathcad 14 student edition...

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Fra wrote:

...simply... mathcad 14 student edition...

So there is a chance. Have you autosave turned on?

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

I don't...

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

I haven't..

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Fra wrote:

I haven't..

So I fear you are in the same situation as you are with Prime by default. Mathcad hasn't saved a backup automatically itself and if your file got in a way damaged so it only has a size of zero bytes, I guess there is no chance for recovering the information lost.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Thank you for your feedback. In fact I have just now autosave enabled, even though it is a bit annoying for frequent breaks. Luckily I have some versions of a few days ago on the backup drive. But the latest version this morning is then lost. I wanted to try to recover it by using the file MFCxx.temp. In fact, I opened it with notepad and I have found that it is there but can't be accessed with mathcad.

Thank you again. Bye.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

If you have autosave on an Mathcad is not able to recover a file after a crash on its own, you may have a look in the directory "documents & settings"/<your user name>/"application data"/"Mathsoft"/"Mathcad"/"14"/"Autosave"

I never had that problem but there are reports from users about crashes when this directory took up too much space and they recommended to clean up that directory from time to time.

I wanted to try to recover it by using the file MFCxx.temp. In fact, I opened it with notepad and I have found that it is there but can't be accessed with mathcad.

I guess its a zero byte file, so there is no information in it. If you have seen information in the file with notepad you may try to rename it to *.xmcd and open it with Mathcad.

As far as I understand it, when you save a file it is always save in a temporary MFC... file in the same directory where the final version should be saved. That way the latest saved version is not destroyed. When the saving was successful the temp-file is renamed and only then the older file is overwritten. As renaming usually doesn't make any problems the most likely reason you see an MFC... file is that it could not be written for some reason. Most of the times it will a zero byte file then.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

I think that things are not going so. The MFCxx.temp file is created only in the case of "accident" that closes Mathcad. However, I have changed the extension and the file is opened. Now I have to try not to fall into the same error that caused the problem. There are some "reference" that are very "sensitive".

Thank you again.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

I have also reopened the file in 14 ... all ok! bye

Top Tags