cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Creating table of contents, can I read page numbers of variable definitions?

kpilested
1-Newbie

Creating table of contents, can I read page numbers of variable definitions?

I am creating a table of contents on the first page of my documents, which needs the page number. as I edit the documents, the definitions tend to be pushed around and I have to update the page numbers, which is a pain. In Word, there is an automatic table of content generator, which can automatically update the page numbers.

Is there a way to read the page number, or find the page number of a variable so as to use this in my table of content, so it is updated automatically as I move stuff?

thanks in advance

13 REPLIES 13
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:kpilested)

Sorry, but what you want is not possible. The only option is manual editing.

Thanks for the response. I was hoping it was possible, and I would love to see it as a feature in the future. I can't imagine it being terribly hard to implement

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Depending on how much time you have, maybe you could get this to work.

You cannot access the page numbers automatically, but you can get the X and Y coordinates of the top left corner of the region, but that's all.

If you make every page break an inserted page break then it would be possible. Those are also regions, so you could get the Y coordinates of all of them, and calculate which page other regions are on.

He's using Prime, so no components.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

Richard Jackson wrote:

He's using Prime, so no components.

Where did you see that?

Well I suggest he shelves Prime and use the complimentary version of M15

Where did you see that?

In a different thread

Thanks, and sorry, I am using Mathcad Prime 3, though I do have Mathcad 15 installed also, I am trying to do the report in Prime 3, as it prints out nicer.

so is there an official feature request thread somewhere I can add it to? I can't imagine being the only one wishing for such a feature

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Kasper Pilested wrote:

so is there an official feature request thread somewhere I can add it to? I can't imagine being the only one wishing for such a feature

This was requested a long time back by many users and was never implemented. You can fire away and try and suggest it again, but I very much doubt it will be on top of PTC's list, as Prime is still catching up to M15.

I believe you have to have maintenance to officially register ideas. However, see Ryan's post here http://communities.ptc.com/docs/DOC-2523#comment-14929 as he confirms that the idea process is under review.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

As Mike says, if you have current maintenance you can register ideas. However, it will be several versions (which means several years) before Prime even has the features of MC15. And then there is a long list of features that have been requested over and over again, for more than a decade (even going back to the Mathsoft days) that we are still waiting for, and an automatic table of contents is one of them. So my advice would be to save your breath.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

Richard Jackson wrote:

Where did you see that?

In a different thread

Sneaky

Hi Mike ,

Thank you very much for the idea on dynamic tables. When we are converting the math cad document into PDF copy how can we hide the push buttons?

To hide the necessary objects in your worksheet you can use the "Area" option. In the "Area" properties exclude: "Line" and "Icon".

Pic_1.png

Pic_2.png

Dear Vladimir ,

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Top Tags