cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

PTC Creo 3.0 Now Available!

MarkCheli
6-Contributor

PTC Creo 3.0 Now Available!

B0kRUk6IUAEh5g4.png

PTC is pleased to announce the release of PTC Creo 3.0 for K-12 schools!

For more information on what's new in PTC Creo 3.0 - http://www.ptc.com/product/creo/new

Register for your free copy of PTC Creo 3.0 - www.ptc.com/go/creoforstudents

Once you have registered, you will receive download instructions for PTC Creo 3.0. We also recommend configuring PTC Creo 3.0 with the “Schools” configuration.

Instructions to configure PTC Creo 3.0 for Schools - http://apps.ptc.com/schools/references/config_creo_schools.pdf

73 REPLIES 73

This is great news, several of the enhancements will be very useful in schools.

Am I correct in thinking the 'Schools' configuration uses inches and ASMI drawing standards?

If so, this will cause problems in regions using other units and drawing standards particularly on school networks and protected laptops where teachers and students rarely have permissions to re-configure software.

What else does the 'Schools' configuration change/add to PTC Creo?

Hi Tim,

have you installed it yet?

i Have downloaded installed but I'm waiting for a licence key.

I Selected the available one that was showing during the install but it won't run.

I assume it is because this is a Creo 2 licence, and need a Creo 3 licence.

i filled the form out ( several times due to issues with the download manager) but had no licence in retun from PTC.

cheers

phil

Hi Tim,

Is there an offical roll out??

Our IT techs are going to work on adding the fframework eextension over half term, but if v3 is an improvement I'll ask them to wait.

Many thanks

Peter

We will need confirmation from PTC that AFX and Illustrate are still available in 3.0 and, if so, instructions for installing/configuring.

Tim,

Both of these are still available for Creo 3.0, and we are working on those guides currently.

I think this is the reduced features Student Edition. The prioduct code is in the install instructions here:

http://apps.ptc.com/schools/references/install_creo3_schools.pdf

I'm told the Schools Edition single seat and network licenses for schools are not available yet. It will give teachers time to check out the new features which look well worth having.

Tim,

It is actually the same features (more if you could Creo View MCAD) as the student edition.

Also, the software should be fully available to any school that wants it. Is there reason to believe otherwise?

Hi Tim

Have you tried to install this yet?

I've tried and cannot get the Simple License Entry dialogue box to accept any input. On my laptop it is not possible to click in the license field to enter the code contained in the documentation even after hitting the "-" next to license summary to avoid it picking up the CREO 2 License.

Roy

Hi Phil,

What Tim said is correct, the product code is included in the install instructions. You will want to make sure that you don't install with your Creo 2.0 license. Just hit the "-" next to it during the licenses phase of the install (picture below)

10-21-2014+11.35.11+AM.png

If you're still running into issues, feel free to send me an email at -.

Hi Mark

I have downloaded version 3, but cannot get it to accept the code in the install instructions.

I have done as you say above to ensure it does not pick up my Creo 2 license but the Simple License Entry box is inactive and will not accept any input.

Do you have any suggestions?

thanks

Roy

MarkCheli
6-Contributor
(To:RoyHandley)

Roy,

This is a pretty standard issue (happened with Creo 2.0 as well) and just means that for whatever reason the installer can't communicate with out licensing servers at PTC. This is most likely because of some kind of security on your network.

That said, there is an easyway to get around that, which is to generate a license file offline. Can you send me your Host ID and product code directly to my email? -

Licence Summary page

I've tried, the Simple License Entry dialogue box accepts the code from the install intructions OK and "-" is marked up against other detected license sources and they disappear leaving the source box blank. Application installation goes ahead OK but on bringing up Creo3 I get the License request failed for feature on a Warning Message list. Also listed there are four sources with a BH prefix. Of course, Creo3 closes down...

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Bob

Hi Bob,

i had similar yesterday, removed all of Creo 3.0 and reinstalled it re typing in the ........STUDENTEDK12 code and it ran fine..

to change to BS8888 mmks you need to allow Creo 3.0 security permissions.

CHeers

Phil.

Thanks Phil, will try this.

Regards,

Bob

Phil,

Thanks, it works after a second install (but yet to be tested to the full)!

Regards,

Bob

Tim,

I note the spec. says it won't run on Vista or XP.

Regards,

Bob

tbrotherhood
4-Participant
(To:BobBooth)

Bob,

The hardware notes for 3.0 (atached) list support for Windows 7 and 8 but nowhere can I find a statement saying it 'won't run on Vista/XP'. Where are you reading this?

Cheers

Tim

PS. I just found a statement in the hardware notes saying "Windows XP and Windows Server 2008 support is discontinued for Creo 3.0".

I really should take the time to read the notes and small print.This is probably forced by Microsoft ending support for these operating systems, PTC has no way of excalating any problems. It doesn't mean Creo 3.0 won't work on XP, it would be worth trying it out.

Tim,

Glad you found it. I might try installing OR, I might get the annual letter off to F. Christmas for a Windows7 update!

Regards,

Bob

MarkCheli
6-Contributor
(To:BobBooth)

Hi Bob,

What Tim has said is exactly correct. While we don't formally "support" it, i'm sure you could get it running. I would be happy to help out if you were having some troubles.

Mark,

Thanks for this offer. I'll get back to you when I've taken some decisions re. upgrading my computers.

Regards,

Bob

All running OK on XP and Vista!

I've run my first course using Creo3 and it all works OK apart from the application of wood grain in render but we're trying to sort that one out...

Can you let me know about the procedure for school gaining the network key and bulk single seat codes for Creo3 when teachers have done their Post Course Task please.

Regards,

Bob

Hi Tim,

It can be used on whichever unit standard is selected (in the same way that units are reconfigured now). Besides that, it uses a config.pro file that has a variety of settings that may be more helpful for new users and makes the learning curve a little less steep. A good example is that whenever you go into sketch mode with the schools configuration, you are automatically brought into the sketch view (as oposed to having to click on it).

Starting in M020 it will be integrated driectly into the installer, so users won't need to worry about having the proper permissions.

Also included is a "schools tab" which consolidates some of the most used buttons onto a single tab. The idea behind this is to make Creo less intimidating to new users. I know when I first started the amount of buttons that were in front of me but that I had no idea how to use was a little discouraging.

We've tried our hardest to reduce the learning curve without removing any functionality. If there are particular features that a school may not like, they can simply remove it and I would be happy to support that for anyone here on the community!

Hi Mark

Could you provide some guidance as to how to activate the "schools tab"?

Thanks

Roy

Have you followed the instructions here Roy?

http://apps.ptc.com/schools/references/config_creo_schools.pdf

This is a slightly different configuration batch file (configure_for_schools.bat) than the provided configuration selector (configure.bat) as installed by the installer.

The key file that it copies over is the creo_parametric_admin_customization.ui which sets up the ribbon. The related mapkeys are in the config.pro.

Rgds,

James

Hi James

Thanks for this info. I was going to ask where you found the document in the first place but I have just scrolled to the top of this thread and see that the document was in the initial announcement of Creo 3! Must learn to look more closely at the details.

Regards

Roy

MarkCheli
6-Contributor
(To:RoyHandley)

Roy,

James has got it, that's exactly what you need to do it. If you run into any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to me at -.

hey everyone I have downloaded 3.0 but I have never used this software before can you please help me i cannot get it to with out license -

JamesCollin
4-Participant
(To:MarkCheli)

Downloading as we speak - I will report back on my findings compared to the Academic2 Creo 2.0 license I currently have.

Rgds,

James

Ok - so I've had a chance to have a quick play this evening - removed all trace of existing Creo 2.0 install including the program data license folder etc.

At install I went to configure the installer to add the Advanced Framework Extension. It's not in the config list.

Update - it looks like it's installed automatically - that's good.

Otherwise install was slick and looks very good (icon updates are clearer) - I'll have to update my own creo_standards installer to get everything set the way I like it.

Did I read something about a simplified schools tab?? Or was I dreaming as usual. Scratch that - I've found it but it didn't seem to load as standard - I manually loaded the creo_parametric_admin_customization.ui file. The five render shortcuts don't seem to work though - mapkeys don't seem defined.

Yes definitely like the Schools section in both parts and assemblies.

JC

Top Tags