cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Unable to assemble an external simplified assembly into another assembly

mjs
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Unable to assemble an external simplified assembly into another assembly

Is there a way to assemble an External Simplified Representation into another assembly? I'm using Creo 2.0. I get an error message as below

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1
dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:mjs)

I think that is not possible. The use of an External Simplified Representation is as a shortcut to the basis assembly, not as a standalone item that is a replacement for an assembly.

I recommend reading all the PTC responses in the following message. There is a long passage from Gunter that I won't copy here.

per http://communities.ptc.com/message/252525#252525

PTCEmployee

No. ESR cannot be assembled to another assembly.

Further in the same message :

The intended use of ESR tool was to let "system architects" a way to prepare "work packages" and distribute them to the team w/o forcing them to ever download nor modify the higher level assembly(s).

Purpose of ESR is to store a simprep definition in a separate file that does NOT force user(s) to modify the top assembly object and/or interact with an internal simprep that is defined in the top assembly.

Realistically - in very large assembly scenarios - only the integrator(s) or very few users will actualy have access to the top assembly for editing, while each designer will likely have access to the systems of one's responsibility.

Top Tags