cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Running a newer version of Creo Schematics to create diagrams for an older version of Parametric

cwilkes
7-Bedrock

Running a newer version of Creo Schematics to create diagrams for an older version of Parametric

The best way to explain my issue is a narrative: So I bought Creo Parametric a few years ago, paid for the first year of maintenance, then let the maintenance run out. This year, we bought the Piping and Cabling extension, paid maintenance for that, and applied the piping extension to the version of Creo we're running, 1.0. Now, on my software downloads page, the only download available --aside from Parametric-- is Creo Schematic 3.0.

For one, can I even run Schematic 3.0 with our 1.0 base license (I CAN run the piping extension within Creo 1.0 with the license they sent, no problem there)? The error I'm getting when setting up Schematic 3.0 is shown below with the sales # blocked out (I tried it on "Simple License Entry" as well).

ptccen.png

Secondly, am I going to run into any issues creating diagrams for Parametric 1.0 using Schematics 3.0?

You would think if you call PTC Tech Support and tell them what you bought, they'd install the whole thing for you rather than just one part of it.... especially since they charge so much for the maintenance I've never actually used after initially setting up Creo. But no, I've called twice, granted remote access twice, and still don't have the entire thing installed (this AFTER they had to correct and resend the first license file they sent over). I've never had this much trouble simply installing a software add-on before. Tech support is helpful and friendly, but not very effective or receptive to your overall needs.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6
dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:cwilkes)

PTC doesn't typically support backwards file compatibility.

The Creo Schematic 2D component is a standalone product, which is why it is a separate download; it isn't just an extension to Creo Parametric. The 3D component is a permanent part of Creo Parametric and is activated with the same license as the 2D component.

Creo Schematic 2D generates information that can be read by Creo Parametric, much the same way that one can read in CSV files generated by Excel. That is, there is not tight interaction between the 2D schematic and the 3D model. There is a check function to see that all wires and pins in the 3D model match the connections in the 2D schematic.

I don't know if the output from Creo Schematic 3 is compatible with the input routines in Creo Parametric 1, but that's only a problem if you are using wirelist information to create wire and cable models within Creo Parametric.

In the same position I would contact these guys http://www.virtual-interconnect.co.uk/ The worst case is they don't answer, but I chatted with them a few years back and they were enthusiastic about Diagram/RSD/Schematic (PTC keeps changing the name)

Can you explain the error I'm seeing on that Installation Assistant window? I don't even get as far as specifying a license file before getting that error (the last thing I do before the error shows up is enter my PTC login info... which I've checked about 5 times to make sure I'm typing it correctly).

Chris,

I guess that Creo Schematic license is floating license. If you show me your license file, I can confirm it.

Simply enter 7788@yourlicenseservername into the field located in Source column and wait for a while until you see Available in Status column.

INFO: Communication with license server can be blocked by firewall running on license server.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Thank you Martin. This got me where I needed to be.

Gaby_K
7-Bedrock

Hi Chris,

• Creo Schematics (ar writen above) is standalone application, but use the same license server as Creo Parametric, therefor there is no limitation for running different versions of creo parametric and creo schematics using the same license server as long as the server hold free license for the versions you like to install/run
  • as for Compatibility/Interoperability - Creo Schematics is fully compitable with Creo Parametric 1.0, you should not have any problem to drive 3-D harness in Creo Parametric 1.0 usinig XML generated on Creo Schematics 3.0.

Regards,

Gaby

gkoch
1-Newbie

Hello Chris,

I assume most of your questions are addressed by now, but I am curious about one statement: "Now, on my software downloads page, the only download available --aside from Parametric-- is Creo Schematic 3.0"

By some logic you could think it makes sense when you purchase Creo Schematics 3.0, you don't get older versions offered. However, as far as I know, this was never the case.

You should have the older versions available as download as well.

When I run the Software Download tool with your customer number (TS can do those tricks), I get all versions:

schematics_download.jpg

There are actually downloadable installations for all of those versions (sometimes even more than one datecode), I just did not expand all of them, to save some real estate in my post.

But of course I might have misunderstood your comment or our tool is not working as it is supposed to.

Regards,

Gunter

Top Tags