cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Open Multiple Drawings in Creo View

dcox-2
1-Newbie

Open Multiple Drawings in Creo View

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if there is a more efficient way of opening multiple drawings in Creo View from Windchill? Currently I have this method:

1. Select drawings
  2. Click Copy
  3. Close yellow banner (to get to the Quick Links button)
  4. Quick Links → Clipboard
  5. Select drawings again
  6. Open in Creo View

Preferred solution would be an "Open multiple items in Creo View" button in the search results table, and in any other relevant locations, but I don't think this exists. Does anybody have a better way than mine? It seems a lot of work for a simple task.

I'm using Windchill 10.2 M020 and Creo View 3.0 M020.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
STEVEG
21-Topaz I
(To:dcox-2)

Yes and no. At least for Creo View Lite.

In the past you would be able to select one thumbnail to open in Creo View then find another and do the same thing. After selecting the second thumbnail it would ask if you want to "Add to Current Session" or "Create a New Session". If you select the Add to option it would create a second window in the existing Creo View.

Now what happens, and I don't know when this started, is the first time you select a second thumbnail it would give you the "Leave this page" or "Stay on this page". So it will remove the first one added. If I go back to the to the first one and click the thumbnail then it will give me the "Add to Current Session" or "Create a New Session". But that still doesn't work very well.

I submitted a call and they said it is a known issue with Internet Explorer. If you try that with Chrome it will open separate sessions of Creo View. Many people at our company don't have Chrome and our IT manager doesn't want to support it. We have another company-wide program where parts do not work in IE so they had to install it for those users.

VERY DISSAPPOINTING!

There is a document on PTC's site about it.

Document - CS37699

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
STEVEG
21-Topaz I

Yes and no. At least for Creo View Lite.

In the past you would be able to select one thumbnail to open in Creo View then find another and do the same thing. After selecting the second thumbnail it would ask if you want to "Add to Current Session" or "Create a New Session". If you select the Add to option it would create a second window in the existing Creo View.

Now what happens, and I don't know when this started, is the first time you select a second thumbnail it would give you the "Leave this page" or "Stay on this page". So it will remove the first one added. If I go back to the to the first one and click the thumbnail then it will give me the "Add to Current Session" or "Create a New Session". But that still doesn't work very well.

I submitted a call and they said it is a known issue with Internet Explorer. If you try that with Chrome it will open separate sessions of Creo View. Many people at our company don't have Chrome and our IT manager doesn't want to support it. We have another company-wide program where parts do not work in IE so they had to install it for those users.

VERY DISSAPPOINTING!

There is a document on PTC's site about it.

Document - CS37699

dcox-2
1-Newbie
(To:STEVEG)

Thanks for the reply, and the link. I hadn't picked up on that error - I usually right click in search results and open from there, rather than using the thumbnails. When you work that way you can still add to the current session. I just tried opening via the thumbnails and was able to replicate that issue; I also tried it in chrome and as you say it creates a separate Creo View session.

I would quite like to use Chrome as default for Windchill, but in the past I have had issues with it not working well with java related activities so I tend to stick with IE.

I guess I won't be satisfied until I get the "Open Multiple Drawings in Creo View" button, I should probably create a product idea for it.

Thanks,

Dave

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

If you do then post the link please. I am still trying to get use to this new site and I'm having difficulty navigating it.

Heck, I can't even find what preference sends an email that notifies me of posts from the boards I follow/subscribe to. I mean that doesn't send it to the Inbox of this site. Maybe that's not possible with this new setup.

dcox-2
1-Newbie

Created:

Open multiple drawings in Creo View without going through clipboard

I hear you about the new site, I have a few opinions on it myself, but it's a Friday and I'm feeling charitable so will keep them to myself!

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II

Off-topic, but email preferences should be under your user-profile:

3-10-2015 6-35-04 PM.jpg

I hope that helps!

Top Tags