cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Contact algorithm

masa
1-Newbie

Contact algorithm

Dear Sir/Madam,

There is a couple of questions and I appreciate if someone give any advice. We are now trying to handle a contact problem between spheres.

First question is what kinds of algorithm is used in Creo simulate. Some possibilities are Lagrange multiplier or penalty methods I guess and I wanna know this to make my numerical analysis by Creo be more reliable.

Second is how to defined master and slave relation.

Please advice me if you know any information. Thanks!

Best,

Masa

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
346gnu
12-Amethyst
(To:masa)

Masa,

A partial answer perhaps

Simulate uses the penalty method and solution by Newton-Raphson reducing residual enery to zero (small number). I'm not sure if it's 'Pure penalty' or Augmented Lagrange. It would seem sensible if it were augmented as this is less sensitive to normal stiffness.

By slave and master do you mean source and target contact surfaces as in Ansys? I think surface-surface and 'symmetric' is used as it more general than node-node and doesn't require a compatible mesh.

Regards

Charles

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
346gnu
12-Amethyst
(To:masa)

Masa,

A partial answer perhaps

Simulate uses the penalty method and solution by Newton-Raphson reducing residual enery to zero (small number). I'm not sure if it's 'Pure penalty' or Augmented Lagrange. It would seem sensible if it were augmented as this is less sensitive to normal stiffness.

By slave and master do you mean source and target contact surfaces as in Ansys? I think surface-surface and 'symmetric' is used as it more general than node-node and doesn't require a compatible mesh.

Regards

Charles

masa
1-Newbie
(To:346gnu)

Charles,

Thanks for your reply.

It is very helpful to know that Simulate uses the penalty method and that's engouh for me.

About slave and master one, I don't mean the case like Anysis. Your advise, such as suface-surface and symmetric is common, is usefuls comment.

Thanks again!

Best,

Masa

Top Tags