cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

What's New In Windchill 10.2 M010-M030 for Document Management

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

What's New In Windchill 10.2 M010-M030 for Document Management

PTC has been presenting what's new in Windchill 10.2 Document Management since last year's PTC Live Global event. Attached is a presentation that covers what's new in the active and coming maintenance releases; M010-M030. Hopefully you'll find some cool and exciting capabilites in the latest releases.

As a pre-emptive answer, no browser drag-n-drop features are supported in any version of Internet Explorer in WIndchill 10.2. PTC is avtively working on this and plans to fully support "Edge" mode for the newer versions of IE with HTML5 capabilities in Windchill 10.3.

33 REPLIES 33
jnezhad
1-Newbie
(To:sm)

Thanks for the presentation and information.

Desktop Integration is in great need of improvement specially what regards the interaction to Windows File Explorer. 🙂

GKelly
10-Marble

Hi Scott, thanks for posting this PowerPoint. I didn't see anything mentioning classification for documents or cascading drop down lists. Do you know when this functionality will be introduced?

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:GKelly)

I posted a separate topic on Document Classification looking for customer feedback and use cases. It is titled Document Classification. Are you looking for cascading drop down lists for attributes or documents?

GKelly
10-Marble

Thanks Scott. I'm looking for cascading drop down lists for attributes.

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:GKelly)

Gotcha. I know there is more work happening on cascading attributes, but unfortunately I don't have the details. If you post a new topic on the community about it, I can route it internally to get feedback from the right folks at PTC.

Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I

Hi Scott,

in the last picture of your presentation you talk about emailing a Windchill Document.

Today we are testing, on 10.2 M030, this new functionality, but it doesn't work.

Our consultant asked support and they told about this SPR https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/spr.jsp?n=2260715&source=Case%20Viewer

Have you got any further details about it?

Thanks.

Marco
sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:Marco_Tosin)

I am looking into it now to get more information...

Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I

Hi Scott,

any news about my previous comment?

Thanks

Marco
sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Ah yes, my apologies. I was busy with PTC LiveWorx the past two weeks. What I have learned from the development team is the problem is occurring when multiple foreground method servers are configured in a Windchill cluster. Development is still working on the issue to determine the root cause and schedule a fix for this. If you do not have multiple foreground method servers in your Windchill configuration, you should not experience this problem.

Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I

Don't worry Scott.

Last weekend we moved to Windchill 10.2 M030, so I know what busy means.

In the case open with TS, our consultant have already explained in which configuration the issue happens.

It is independent of Windows configuration (we have a single WMWare server, not a cluster) and also numbers of FG method server (we have three FG in Prod and Test, but only one in Dev system).

The issue it happens every time a BG method server is present.

Marco

Marco
Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I

Scott,

this article from TS is the final answer?

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?source=subscription&n=CS202799

No chance to see this feature working correctly in some 10.2 CPS?

Marco
sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

I have submitted a request to PTC Technical Support to update this article with the latest information from development so it accurately depicts the problem, the cause and the expected fix. No word yet on whether or not it can be corrected in a future CPS, but I'll update you as soon as I know more.

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Okay, got it. The root cause is the configuration of multiple foreground or background method servers. PTC R&D has corrected this problem for the next major release of Windchill and I have requested this SPR to be included in a future CPS for 10.2 M030. I don't have any specific timing yet, but will know more once the request is approved and the SPR is submitted to the CPS branch.

Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I

Thanks Scott.

I look forward to reading some good news

Marco
Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I

Hi Scott,

from our last discussion PTC released CPS03 and CPS04 for Windchill 10.2 M030, but I haven't found any solution about the issue on Emailing WTDocuments.

Have you got some more news about it?

Thanks.

Marco
sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

I've asked the team to confirm which CPS the fix was submitted to and hope to have an answer for you ASAP.

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Marco Tosin‌, I have bad news. This SPR was never submitted to a CPS because only PTC Technical Support can raise the request. While the R&D team informed me they can do the patch, they did not receive any input from TS to do the work. I guess this is the down side of circumventing PTC Technical Support via the Community. Can you please contact PTC TS and request this SPR for the next upcoming CPS? That is the only way to bring the fix into 10.2 M030.

Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I

Scott,

in this discussion I have already posted SPR (see my comment on April 27).

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/spr.jsp?n=2260715

And I cited also an article https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?source=subscription&n=CS202799 in which SPR is already submitted to R&D.

Marco
sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Understood. The only way to have the SPR fix submitted to CPS is via PTC Technical Support. They are the only ones authorized to make the request and provide the justification to Release Management. Once approved, the fix can be submitted, tested and included in the next CPS.

Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I

Scott,

to reinforce my request I have just wrote a comment on article CS202799 (I can't directly comment an SPR), citing also this discussion.

Hope it will be sufficient.

Marco
sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

CS202799 has been updated with the resolution at Windchill 10.2 M030 CPS07 and Windchill 11.0 F000. I'm glad this defect was reported early and addressed in a CPS for people to take advantage of this new feature, regardless of their Windchill server configuration.

Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I

Scott,

thanks for your answer.

CPS07 should be out in a couple of weeks, so I can't wait to try this new feature.

Thanks again for your support.

Marco
Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I

Scott,

last friday we installed CPS07 and then I try again to send document by mail.

As you can see in attached image, differently from what is written in the presentation, in the email I can find only a link to my documents and not files as attachments.

I thought to use this new feature to send email to users outside Windchill, but this way it's not possible.

Document.PNG

Marco
sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Marco Tosin‌, can you check in with PTC Technical Support on this one? The article lists the fix in CPS07, but the SPR lists the fix in M032 CPS01. We need clarification from PTC Technical Support about the associated SPR and its resolution regarding the article. They should be able to confirm the fix with development.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

The article is alluding me at the moment, but I read recently that M032 was a special release for some specifc product.  (I don't remember which one.)  It does not apply to Windchill PDMLink.

Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I
(To:TomU)

I think M032 is for Arbortext.

Marco
Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I

Done.

I'll update whenever TS gives me some news.

Marco
cc-2
6-Contributor

Thanks a lot for sharing.

We want more of those documentations

habat
4-Participant

Scott - Thanks a lot. Appreciated and very interesting for my current customer context, especially as we will help them upgrading from M020 to M030 in the next quarter...

Top Tags