cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

In Creo 2.0 (MOD 080) can users borrow more than 1 license?

tcasola
1-Newbie

In Creo 2.0 (MOD 080) can users borrow more than 1 license?

As known, (unless FlexNet server is 11.10.1) users cannot return borrowed license until they expire.

We have those rare situations where the user may need to “extend” the amount of days they need to borrow a license.

According to PTC there is no way to extend the days, but PTC representative stated users can borrow another license (so they can have 2 borrowed licenses) before the current borrowed license expires.

We cannot get this multiple license borrowing to work. We’ve asked for guidance how to accomplish this, but haven’t been told.

We've gone into the xxx\PTC\Creo2.0\Parametric\bin folder and tried: parametric_borrow.bat & ptcborrow.bat with no luck.

Is there a special variable and/or setting needed to be added to Creo and/or the License server?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tom,

1.]

You cannot borrow two identical licenses. For example two PROE_FoundationAdv.

2.]

You can borrow two different licenses. For example PROE_FoundationAdv and PROE_FAPAAX.

3.]

Return of borrowed license to the server before the expiration date has been implemented in Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 M150, Creo Parametric 1.0 M050 and Creo Parametric 2.0 M020.

4.]

To see borrow information on user workstation, user can use two commands:

• ptcstatus
  • "<Creo 2.0>\Common Files\Mxxx\x86e_win64\obj\lmutil.exe" lmborrow -status

5.]

To return borrowed license early, user can use this command:

• "<Creo 2.0>\Common Files\Mxxx\x86e_win64\obj\lmutil.exe" lmborrow -return -c 7788@SERVERNAME LICENSENAME

Also, the BORROW environment must be configured properly. In the past I created document containing all necessary information (unfortunatelly in Czech language).

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Tom,

the information concerning BORROW functionality provided by PTC is not very good. You have to compile information from several sources to get all you need.

I have never tried to borrow 2 licenses, but I can test it if you want ...

In the past I tested BORROW functionality in combination with FLEXnet 10.8 (lmgrd.exe+ptc_d.exe processes) and FLEXnet 11 (lmadmin.exe+ptc_d.exe). It worked as expected in both cases. I am accustomed to FLEXnet 10.8, therefore I will use this version as long as it is possible.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Martin,

I've tried numerous places to see if it was possible to borrow more than one license, and there is little information out there.

Today PTC finally came back and stated with our current license server configuration, there is NO WAY to return a license early; there is NO WAY to extend a license, and there is NO WAY to borrow more than 1 license.

If you want to test it trying to obtain more than once license, be my guest. However I wouldn’t go crazy.

Thanks for answering so quickly.

Be well, and have a great weekend!!

Tom

Tom,

1.]

You cannot borrow two identical licenses. For example two PROE_FoundationAdv.

2.]

You can borrow two different licenses. For example PROE_FoundationAdv and PROE_FAPAAX.

3.]

Return of borrowed license to the server before the expiration date has been implemented in Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 M150, Creo Parametric 1.0 M050 and Creo Parametric 2.0 M020.

4.]

To see borrow information on user workstation, user can use two commands:

• ptcstatus
  • "<Creo 2.0>\Common Files\Mxxx\x86e_win64\obj\lmutil.exe" lmborrow -status

5.]

To return borrowed license early, user can use this command:

• "<Creo 2.0>\Common Files\Mxxx\x86e_win64\obj\lmutil.exe" lmborrow -return -c 7788@SERVERNAME LICENSENAME

Also, the BORROW environment must be configured properly. In the past I created document containing all necessary information (unfortunatelly in Czech language).

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Martin,

This is what we figured (knew), but was trying to see if it was possible to borrow 2 of the same license.

The only thing we can do is request to upgrade our FlexNet License server to the latest build, then we'll be able to "return" and then borrow new licenses easily.

Thanks for all your hard work, and reply. Cannot express my appreciation in only a few short words.

Tom

Tom,

This is what we figured (knew), but was trying to see if it was possible to borrow 2 of the same license.

NOTE:

License borrowing is related to user account. Therefore you can borrow two license of the same type on the same PC, if you borrow them under different user accounts.

The only thing we can do is request to upgrade our FlexNet License server to the latest build, then we'll be able to "return" and then borrow new licenses easily.

NOTE:

As I wrote before ... you do not need FlexNet 11.0, borrowing works with FlexNet 10.8, too.

What you need is:

• Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 M150, Creo Parametric 1.0 M050 and Creo Parametric 2.0 M020 or higher
  • license.dat (in FLEXnet installation) containing BORROW version of your licenses, see the following example

INCREMENT PROE_FoundationAdv ptc_d 34.0 permanent 2 \

<code> VENDOR_STRING="VSVER=2.0 \

LO=(3,7,10,17,32,34,40,45,51,55,62,63,66,69,71,73,106,115,126,133,135,137,158,194,324,325,336,347) \

BORROW" SUPERSEDE vendor_info="VIVER=1.0 \

EXTERNAL_NAME=" ISSUER=PTC-WEB-INSTALL \

ISSUED=06-feb-2015 BORROW=360 \

... and so on

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

I will send this to the FlexNet server admin. Thanks!!

Martin,

Sorry to bother you ... I asked my FlexNet 10.8 License server Administrator to make the necessary changes and he was unsure what do to. He contacted PTC who told him there is no way to return licenses using FlexNet 10.8, and it only works with FlexNet 11.0. Is this true? If not, can you send any documentation concerning 10.8?

This is what he stated PTC sent him ...

Borrowed licenses cannot be returned early in Pro/ENGINEER, Creo Elements/Pro and Creo Parametric

Description

* Borrowed licenses cannot be returned early

* The return early function for FlexNet licenses does not work

* How the borrowed license returns to the server

* How to return borrowed license to the server before the expiration date

* Is it possible to return a borrowed license early using ptcflush

Applies To

* Pro/ENGINEER all releases

* Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 F000 - M140

* Creo Parametric 1.0 M050

* Creo Parametric 2.0 M020

Cause

* FlexNet Publisher software limitation with specific functionality implemented by PTC.

Resolution

* Reported to R&D as SPR 2093395

* Corrected in Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 M150, Creo Parametric 1.0 M050 and Creo Parametric 2.0 M020

Install flex based license server version 11.10.1 (FLEXNet Admin License Server) or FLEXNet lmgrd version 11.10

* For FLEXNet Admin License Server version 11.10.1

* Stop the license server

* Go to the installation directory of FLEXNet Admin License Server 11.10.1

* Go to the “conf” folder and open “server.xml” in WordPad

* Make the changes in server.xml file as per following example:

<licenseServer adminOnly="true" .................... licenseReclaimAllowed="false"

-- To --

<licenseServer adminOnly="false" ................... licenseReclaimAllowed="true"

* Start the license server

* At user/client end

* Set the environment variable “ENV=PRO_ALLOW_EARLY_RETURN=true” in the .psf file for application (Creo 2.0 Parametric, Creo Elements/Pro 5.0) prior to checking out (borrowing out) the license from the server

* To return the borrow license early

* Open command prompt with administrator privileges

* Change the default path of command prompt

* For Creo Parametric 2.0: “C:\PTC\Creo 2.0\Common Files\M070\x86e_win64\obj”

* For Creo Elements/Pro 5.0: “C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo Elements\Pro5.0\x86e_win64\obj”

* Use the following syntax to return license:

lmutil lmborrow -return -c <port@servername> <license feature name>

Tom,

I can only repeat what I already told you. If you want to continue our conversation, you have to provide me some information.

1.]

========

Question:

========

What version do you use ?

2.]

license.dat (in FLEXnet installation) must contain BORROW version of your licenses, see the following example:

INCREMENT PROE_FoundationAdv ptc_d 34.0 permanent 2 \

<code> VENDOR_STRING="VSVER=2.0 \

LO=(3,7,10,17,32,34,40,45,51,55,62,63,66,69,71,73,106,115,126,133,135,137,158,194,324,325,336,347) \

BORROW" SUPERSEDE vendor_info="VIVER=1.0 \

EXTERNAL_NAME=" ISSUER=PTC-WEB-INSTALL \

ISSUED=06-feb-2015 BORROW=360 \

... and so on

========

Question:

========

Did your admin check your license.dat ?

What licenses did he find ?

In case that license.dat does not contain BORROW version of your licenses, he must get new license file from PTC.

3.]

Did you test the following commands (in Command prompt window) after borrowing the license?

"<Creo 2.0>\Common Files\Mxxx\x86e_win64\obj\lmutil.exe" lmborrow -status

"<Creo 2.0>\Common Files\Mxxx\x86e_win64\obj\lmutil.exe" lmborrow -return -c 7788@SERVERNAME LICENSENAME

========

Question:

========

What was the result?

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Martin,

Sorry for all this. Since I don't have access to the license server I can't see what is and/or isn't configured - so I am the "the man in the middle".

In regards to your question concerning the results are for lmutil.exe lmborrow

-status RESULTS

lmutil - Copyright (c) 1989-2008 Acresso Software Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Vendor Feature Expiration
______ ________ __________

ptc_d PROE_EngineerIV 6-Mar-15 23:59

-return RESULTS

lmutil - Copyright (c) 1989-2008 Acresso Software Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Usage: lmborrow {all|vendorname} dd-mmm-yyyy [hh:mm] (To borrow)
lmborrow -status (Report features borrowed to this node)
lmborrow -clear (Changed your mind -- do not borrow)
lmborrow -return [-c licfile] [-d display_name] [-fqdn] feature
(Return feature early)
lmborrow -help (Display usage information)

I sent the server Administrator all this information and he replied the license server contains all the borrowed information you supplied. He states he found out that FlexNet servers are notorious for failing to return license. ...

I gave him the link to this thread. I asked him to log in and add to it.

If he doesn't, then I won't bother any longer.

Thanks for all your help!! I truly appreciate it!!

Tom,

I am back in the office from skiing holiday .

Probably you used the following incomplete command:

"<Creo 2.0>\Common Files\Mxxx\x86e_win64\obj\lmutil.exe" lmborrow -return

You have to use the following command:

"<Creo 2.0>\Common Files\Mxxx\x86e_win64\obj\lmutil.exe" lmborrow -return 7788@SERVERNAME PROE_EngineerIV

7788 in the above command is default port number defined in license.dat file on SERVER line (see number at the end of the line)

Your port number can be different !!!

SERVERNAME in the above command is name of license server defined in license.dat file on SERVER line (see text located behind SERVER keyword)

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

SKIING?!?!?!? And you didn't ask me?!?!?!? I thought we were buds!!!!

Martin,

Thanks for all this. I've tried and tried and still nothing. Either I get an error that states "Error: 7788@123.45.67.890 not currently borrowed", or "The system cannot find the file specified".

I've type it 10 different ways, and I cannot come up with the correct combo.

Final question/help:

Using the example below, how would you type the lmutil.exe" lmborrow -return 7788@SERVERNAME PROE_EngineerIV command

Example:

Displaying status for license file: 7788@123.45.67.890
License Server is UP: 7788@123.45.67.890
ptc_d FLEXnet Publisher version: 10.8
License In Use Free
------- ------ ----
PROE_EngineerIV 57 143
^(tom.casola@me2002189) PROE_EngineerIV pocabcd0mmls02 7788 1234

Displaying borrow license status for: tom.casola@me2002189

License Expire Date
------- -----------
PROE_EngineerIV Fri Mar 06 23:59:45 2015

* = License Extensions - Available only on startup.
^ = Borrowed License.

Press any key to continue . . .

I have a call out to the Creo License server administrator to make sure "pocabcd0mmls02" is actually what is listed in the license.dat file. If not, that may be the issue.

I promise this will be the 2nd to last email. I will let you know what happens, and if it doesn't work I will be finish.

Thanks again for everything. .. Hope you can ski more over the weekend!!!

Tom

Tom,

exit Creo session and test two following commands:

command no.1

"<Creo 2.0>\Common Files\Mxxx\x86e_win64\obj\lmutil.exe" lmborrow -return 7788@123.45.67.890 PROE_EngineerIV

-OR-

lmutil.exe lmborrow -return 7788@123.45.67.890 PROE_EngineerIV

command no.2

"<Creo 2.0>\Common Files\Mxxx\x86e_win64\obj\lmutil.exe" lmborrow -return 7788@pocabcd0mmls02 PROE_EngineerIV

-OR-

lmutil.exe lmborrow -return 7788@pocabcd0mmls02 PROE_EngineerIV

Note:

In my installation I use SERVER_NAME, I do not use SERVER_IP_ADDRESS. Therefore ptcstatus.bat output contains 7788@proe (path to the license) and proe in lines reporting license use.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Dear Martin,

As always THANKS!!

I tried, and failed both times. I keep getting 7788@ which ever I choose not currently borrowed.

I have a feeling it has to be something on the server side.

With your help, we tried and I think we've exhausted all suggestions.

Thanks again for everything.

As promised, this will be the last correspondence on this.

Be well - and may your poles always be upright!!

Tom

Martin,

FYI .. We finally got this to work. The issue was, we were missing one variable.

The return command we used was: lmutil.exe lmborrow -return -c 7788@123.45.67.890 PROE_EngineerIV (notice the -c after the word -return).

Thanks for all your help!!

Congratulations !

I check my replys. Some of them contains -c other not. Its my fault .

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák
Top Tags