cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Pro-E Crashing

mmyers
1-Newbie

Pro-E Crashing

I work in the IT department for a Manufacturing company. I have an end user with a new Dell Precision M2800 laptop. According to PTC, this model laptop meets all the requirements for the program to run. Every time the user opens Pro-E, he is able to open up a file to view a 3D part, but it Pro-E crashes immediately after that. He is using a compatible AMD video card. Is there a setting within the AMD Catalyst Control Center that needs to be changed? I have tried updating the video drivers as well. No luck.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
10 REPLIES 10
dnordin
15-Moonstone
(To:mmyers)

Maggie,

Try setting the config.pro option:

enable_opengl_fbo no

Dan N.

mmyers
1-Newbie
(To:dnordin)

Dan, thanks for the quick response! I am unfamiliar with using Pro-E.. Where would I find that config option?

Maggie,

there is only one config.pro in the directory where Creo is installed.

If you don't find this option, simply add it.

Just yesterday I had a similar problem with some machine used for training.

Probably because of some Windows or anti virus update, Creo crashed after launching.

To solve this issue I have updated the graphic driver.

Marco
mmyers
1-Newbie

I added enable_opengl_fbo no to the config file. This time, Pro-E stayed open for 20 minutes before crashing. The video drivers are up-to-date and match what the minimum specs are for Pro-E to run. I did see, however, a setting in the AMD Catalyst control center that might potentially cause Pro-E to crash. It has to do with the openGL. I tried that, but still no luck.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

In this link, TomD.inPDX‌ recommend that you use the Dell drivers instead:

Re: graphics issue

Yes, this is a general recommendation, to use the computer vendor provided drivers rather than the graphics board vendor drivers, even if those are newer.

But of course if the latest NVidia driver solves your issue, no one would complain!

If neither driver helps and articles from PTC KDB do not help either (see below), e.g. better open a case with Technical Support.

Some articles you may be interested in:

CS31618 : Premature exit or failed to launch Creo Parametric

CS58450 : Troubleshooting of premature exits in Pro/ENGINEER and Creo Elements/Pro

dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:gkoch)

If the latest Nvidia driver helps an AMD video card ...

I agree that this is rarely the case...

gkoch
1-Newbie

Keep in mind, that there can also be other reasons for crashes up to hardware defects, overheating, etc...

Here is some additional info on how to check, whether issue is likely related to OpenGL support of card/driver (not limited to exits):

CS169272 : How to debug graphical issues in Creo Parametric ?

ChrisSpartz
12-Amethyst

As this is an issue with ProE and not Windchill, I'm going to move this question over to the Creo/ProE community. There is more expertise with ProE in that community, which should help get an answer to your question.

Top Tags