cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Purge items in Workspace

ErikZabokrtsky
8-Gravel

Purge items in Workspace

More of a general knowledge question than really an issue. Just wondering what would happen if I set my Purge Job to remove items in a workspace?

We are using Windchill 10.0 M030 and I have a purge job set up to remove all but last 3 iterations of EPM Documents. When looking through logs I see "Conflict Message : Cannot delete Assembly - 115601.asm, A.38 because it is in following workspace(s)..." all over the place. There are likely a few hundred of these in each log file. Now when creating the Purge job you can choose to Override "Downloaded to a workspace" and still purge it, but... my question is what happens to that part in the Workspace then?

If 106.asm A.32 uses 105.prt A39., but someone still has 105.prt A.34 sitting in the workspace and the purge removes it, would 105.prt A.39 be downloaded to the workspace the next time they try and open 106.asm, or would it create 105.prt as a "New" part because it can't be located in the workspace?

Really hard to type out the scenario I am thinking about, but hopefully someone follows along... if not then just ask and I will try and explain it a little better.

4 REPLIES 4

What data would it have to create the 105.prt from? The only thing it could create would be a new ghost part of 105.prt. You then need to resync/add to get the 105.prt from commonspace.

Haven't tried it, but my guess is that 105.prt A.39 would be downloaded since Creo cannot find 105.prt A.## in session or in the local workspace. Creo part open rules should come into play with where it looks to open a part from: Session, Workspace, Commonspace.

The new ghost part is what I was referring to it creating. I have seen it before if you remove a part before the assembly that it will create a ghost file and I would like to stay away from causing this to happen.

I'm just hoping that someone has used this feature and will be able to tell me exactly how it works... as I don't have a test system currently to enable the option on and test outside of production.

If you don't have a test system, create a small test assembly with a few components and let your purge routine run and see what happens.

You can then delete the test assembly and components.

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II
(To:ErikZabokrtsky)

I believe it will try to download it from commonspace prior to creating a ghost object or creating a new file if it can't find a file in a workspace. Creo doesn't care what particular iteration of a file it retrieves--it just looks for a CAD file with the name it needs. It should search workspace first, then commonspace, and then will probably throw a regen error the next time you try to retrieve the asm if it can't find the file in the search paths.

Top Tags