cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Can you change the iteration time step in Creo Mechanism?

cadkins
1-Newbie

Can you change the iteration time step in Creo Mechanism?

Or is it only automatic?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Not sure what you mean, but you can control timing with the advanced controls.

User defined servo motors, for instance, can combine several different time domains and actions throughout the duration you specify.

I mean when the analysis is running it's choosing a time step to measure a measure like position for example. I think Mechanisms uses a fourth order Runge-Kutta to solve the equations of motion of time?

In this example I've created a projectile ball and taken a measure of its y-position over time. You see from exporting the graph to excel; mechanisms has chosen a time step of 0.01 seconds from the first picture and then when it approaches the termination condition i set up, the time step changes to 6 decimal places (figure 2).

Do I have any control over this? Say i wanted the whole simulation time step to be 6 decimal places?

TimeStep1.JPG

Figure 1

TimeStep2.JPG

Figure 2

I see. I think it follows the analysis frames from some earlier tests I did.

This means you need to stretch your event if you want more steps due to the limit of the minimum step, probably .01 seconds.

I could be wrong, but I haven't been overly thrilled with the accuracy of mechanism.

The idea is that with interval points, you have unlimited interpolated data in the generated curve.

Unfortunately, Mechanism's precision is not very good. It truncates or rounds to very few digits.

Top Tags