cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Cut line problem

pgf545
7-Bedrock

Cut line problem

I was trying to do a surface milling sequence over the weekend and I ran in to an issue using cut-lines. I picked the surfaces and then did cut lines using closed loops. I have done this several times before and never had an issue. I got an error that said Cut-lines Cross. I tryed using the model and also making a surface and got the same issue. I finally just did seperate surfaces and it worked it just took a while to do each surface. It was a small radius around an o-ring groove. The radius is .005 and I was using a .063 tool. Amyone ran into this and if so what am I missing?

Thanks Bernie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gkoch
1-Newbie
(To:pgf545)

The cutlines are created offset from the start/end cutlines, the algorithm is trying to fit them in between.

Depending on the geometry, this is probably not always easy - especially if start and end cutlines use different curve types, number of segments or quite different curvature.

You can try adding some inner cutlines to solve the issue and maybe check whether the start points on both contours align.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
gkoch
1-Newbie
(To:pgf545)

The cutlines are created offset from the start/end cutlines, the algorithm is trying to fit them in between.

Depending on the geometry, this is probably not always easy - especially if start and end cutlines use different curve types, number of segments or quite different curvature.

You can try adding some inner cutlines to solve the issue and maybe check whether the start points on both contours align.

pgf545
7-Bedrock
(To:gkoch)

Thanks Gunter, I tried playing around with this but it was still crashing. I was able to cut the part but I wanted to figure out why I was having trouble. What I did was started playing with the radius and was able to enlarge the radius enough to work.I tried going back to the original size and the same error came back. I then created a surface with come extra length on one leg so the tool would go past the edge of the radius and that worked. Thanks for getting my brain going, I am fairly new and I tend to run into problems from time to time.

Bernie

Top Tags