cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

PTC extended support

jrozanc
6-Contributor

PTC extended support

Has anyone purchased/utilized PTC extended support? I'm looking for feed back on the experience and if the value is worth the cost. I'm hearing the cost is 10% of our currently list price and it applies for all Windchill products we own.

Our current Windchill version goes out of support on June 30th of this year. We plan on migrating to Windchill 13.0.2 as soon as it becomes available in July. We are looking at being out of support for 2-3 months. I've heard if we submit any requests to PTC while out of support, there immediate response will be "you are on a system that isn't supported, migrate to a supported system and if the issue persists we will investigate."
Our VAR indicates this is an option that is rarely utilized. Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:jrozanc)

A lot would depend on how often you have issues with Windchill where you need to contact PTC support for resolution. If your only reason for contact is for upgrade support, then they will provide that without payng for the extended support. PTC will usually answer questions on out-of-support versions. The extended support only buys you a bug fix if needed. You can still download new CPS releases that come out after June 30.

I am in the same boat as you, 12.0.2.xx and then what next? I do have a test server running 12.1.2.xx but I was also hoping to go to 13.0.2 directly from 12.0.2. I also have a thing against installing an initial release of any PTC product into production. I usually wait until the 5th CPS before I move over to a new version, both Windchill and Creo.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:jrozanc)

A lot would depend on how often you have issues with Windchill where you need to contact PTC support for resolution. If your only reason for contact is for upgrade support, then they will provide that without payng for the extended support. PTC will usually answer questions on out-of-support versions. The extended support only buys you a bug fix if needed. You can still download new CPS releases that come out after June 30.

I am in the same boat as you, 12.0.2.xx and then what next? I do have a test server running 12.1.2.xx but I was also hoping to go to 13.0.2 directly from 12.0.2. I also have a thing against installing an initial release of any PTC product into production. I usually wait until the 5th CPS before I move over to a new version, both Windchill and Creo.

jrozanc
6-Contributor
(To:BenLoosli)

Thanks Ben. We are at 12.0.2.XX. We will probably run out of support for a couple months, while all hoping PTC keeps to the July rollout date for 13.0.2.

Top Tags