cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Chamfer dimesioning & tolerancing

Atlas_8850
7-Bedrock

Chamfer dimesioning & tolerancing

As per the original post

Is there any way to use the existing model annotation and add a tolerance to its angle? Surely it should be this easy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fzz2cMiAZc

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:Atlas_8850)

Creo does not create that specific dimension type.  You can create a note similar to it by placing the dimensions, setting the tolerance, and adding the dimensions to a leader note.  Once in the note, you will need to go to the model to modify tolerances.

kdirth_0-1707850970392.png

There is always more to learn in Creo.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
StephenW
23-Emerald II

Using Angle x D chamfer, you can add a tolerance to the angle.

StephenW_0-1707512870951.png

StephenW_1-1707512902276.png

Can this tolerance be edited on the drawing (where all the other tolerances are usually edited)? Or are chamfer tolerances "trapped" in the .PRT file and can only be edited there? 

StephenW
23-Emerald II

As with all shown dimensions, you can edit the dimension value or tolerance value in the model or drawing using the ribbon or by double clicking the value.

StephenW_0-1707567392057.png

StephenW_1-1707567406231.png

StephenW_2-1707567418113.png

Ah, my apologies, I should have clarified: is there any way to do this in a single dimension? E.g. a single leader line which points to the chamfer and says 0.030 x 45°? Can you add that kind of chamfer callout (like in the video I linked) and adjust its tolerances from the drawing?

StephenW
23-Emerald II

The notation for a 45° chamfer is a special case based on ASME Y14.5. It can only be used because "the linear value applies in either direction".

My interpretation of this based on ASME is the linear value would be measured in both directions and must meet tolerance for the linear dimension. The

Tolerancing the angle in this instance doesn't apply since you don't know what direction you are measuring from (horizontal or vertical surface).

StephenW_0-1707823343727.png

Explicitly specifying the angle on the drawing as a separate dimension allows you to add a tolerance because you are explicit in showing what surface you are measuring from.

kdirth
20-Turquoise

Creo does not create that specific dimension type.  You can create a note similar to it by placing the dimensions, setting the tolerance, and adding the dimensions to a leader note.  Once in the note, you will need to go to the model to modify tolerances.

kdirth_0-1707850970392.png

There is always more to learn in Creo.
Top Tags