cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Opening legacy files

RJ_5352586
1-Newbie

Opening legacy files

I am using Creo Parametric Release 9.0 and Datecode9.0.4.0

I am attempting to open files from the 1990s that are labeled as DRW and I cannot open them.

Here are the errors that I faced
'Filename' Cannot Be Pulled
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@RJ_5352586 wrote:

Attached are some examples

I downloaded 4027-1.drw and took a look in a text editor. This is not a ProE file.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:RJ_5352586)

You would be better attaching a .jpg of the error. If you do not attached the model files, no one else will be able to open the drawing file.

What is the error you are getting?  Cannot fine 4027-1.prt or something like that?

Seems like that might be the issue, the .drw file on it's own is useless. You must have the .prt and .asm files that are associated with the drawing.

Does this also apply to Pro/E files from say, 1996? I don't know that there are or were any PRT or ASM files associated with these.

Yes, absolutely. This is how Creo-Pro/E has worked forever.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Are you sure these files were created in an older version of Pro/Engineer?

PTC only guarantees to be able to open files from the previous 3 versions. Using Creo 9, anything before Creo 6 would be suspect to being able to open.

You should be able to open a drawing file without the models behind it, just the views would be blank as there is no data to populate them.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:BenLoosli)

If models are not present, Creo will throw an error. You need to find the model for them to open.

If a instance gets deleted from a family table, the drawing stops opening, throws an error. After "snipping" the errors, and clicking "OK" the drawing will close.

I have this if a drawing was modified by adding a different model and someone (usually me) forgets to delete the old model out of the drawing. I then have  to recreate the model (a dummy one/temp one) open the drawing (successfully) and then delete the bad model from the list of models in the drawing. Save, close, delete the temp/dummy model. Then test to make sure the drawing open correctly. 

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:Dale_Rosema)

Renamed an instance name, then opened the drawing:

Dale_Rosema_0-1711547977682.png

I am almost certain that they are from Pro/E. That was the software used by our company when these files originated. As I said these files are nearly 30 years old, so I'm guessing they would not be guaranteed. The file does not open at all. No blank views or anything.

RJ_5352586_0-1711547977281.png

Here is the actual error message. I tried to create a dummy model and save it in the same folder as the drawing and I still received an error message.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Did you try first ,prt  then .asm?

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:Dale_Rosema)

If it is an .asm, the error may then change to parts "within" that .asm.

I have tried both.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:BenLoosli)

@BenLoosli,

I don't think that is correct.  A newer version of Creo Parametric should be able to successfully open files created in *any* previous version of Creo Parametric or ProEngineer:

• Pro/ENGINEER, Creo Elements/Pro and Creo Parametric support upward compatibility
    • Data created in an older release can open in a newer release

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS34192

@RJ_5352586 wrote:

I downloaded 4027-1.drw and took a look in a text editor. This is not a ProE file.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:RandyJones)

In the header, it says this:

ANVIL1K   E:\97-3051.SOL\DRAWINGS\3051-1.DRW

ANVIL1K   1222027-SOL\MECHDWGS\4027-1.DRW

I am guessing you had MSC Anvil 1000 30 years ago.

Great, thanks. 

jchelle
15-Moonstone

jchelle
15-Moonstone
(To:jchelle)

Sorry for the typo :  Micrografx Designer 

Thank you. PTC is not a suite I am familiar with. Do you have any idea why my computer recognizes it as a DRW file? What sort of file could it be?

jchelle
15-Moonstone

from Hi RJ_5352586,

I confirm Ben's status.

I checked the structure of the file you attached using editor Notepad++ and compared it with a drawing that opens properly without associated models assembly.

Found that the header UGC information is missing in 4027-1.DRW file.

End of UGC information is missing  at the end of your file as well.

See attached screenshots.

So this file does not come from Creo or Pro/Engineer.

Checking on the net and found that micrographx designer generates .DRW file as well.

Where did this file comes from exactly?

Jean-Claude

Top Tags