cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Pro Program for interchangebililty parts

vishnu.chodavar
1-Newbie

Pro Program for interchangebililty parts

I need to create an assembly and need to be driven through the parameters. I have an assembly with 3 parts. Say X, Y & Z Some times these parts need to be replaced by entering the parameters. Say "Y" to be replaced with some other similar part "A". These are not family members, all the parts are individual. ALl the parts X, Y, Z & A are in the same folder. The main theme should be as follows: The user will be opening the generic assembly, and the input will be given interms of input parameters say "For second part, enter "Y"" then the particular second part should be replaced by searching in the folder with the entered "Y" Please let me know, if any process is there to replace automatically as required.
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Yes, Pro/PROGRAM can do this very nicely. You have a couple of options for parts that are independent. You can set up a Functional Interchange Group, or you can simply assemble all the different optional parts and include them or leave them out based on the responses to the prompts you create by appropriately editing the Assembly Program with common conditional logic lines. For example: IF COMP2==A ... ENDIF. You need to read up on the functionality in the Help files, or, even better, take an advanced PTC course that includes this topic.

Thanks David, I have tried this option and is working fine. Infact I need the same functionally but, not 3 parts. I have huge number of parts (about 70 to 80 parts) in a folder. I am facing difficulty in assembling all the parts in the same and defining the relations, since the combinations will vary drastically and huge in file size also. So is there any other way to call the parts to the predefined generic assembly. I am planning to have a dummy assembly first with the number of parts are equal to the final requirement and then feed the drawing number for which i want to replace the part. Please suggest if is there any way to make it possible

Vishnu, Given your brief, general description, it's hard to say what might be the most effective tools for your problem. When you say you have "tried this option" do you mean both Pro/PROGRAM and Functional Interchange Groups? Another approach you might look at is using Layout (Pro/NOTEBOOK) in conjunction with a Skeleton Part where you "Declare" various Models with appropriate Datums for Automatic Assembly. Finally, if it can work for your situation, using Coordinate Systems for Assembly means that you have to specify only one assembly constraint. David
Top Tags