cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Subassembly with Automatic conection is torn appart in upper assembly

DG_8658207
2-Guest

Subassembly with Automatic conection is torn appart in upper assembly

Hello together
We do have a problem with assemblys.

We have a subassembly "sub_1"

in "sub_1" there are multiple components, which are all defined in the component placement as "Automatic" meaning their placement actualy isn't defined.

now we have a assembly "asm_1" in which "sub_1" is placed. Let's say as fixed, it doesn't really matter.
Now i want to insert a other part "part_1" into "asm_1" the placement of which i want to define referencing "sub_1".

What happes now is that the components in "sub_1" are moved around in all directions, even though I'm trying to assemble components in "asm_1". they stay in those strange locations even if the placement of "part_1" is canceled.

In other words: The connections i make in "asm_1" influence the placement of the components of "sub_1" which is absolutly not what i want.

Is this a known problem? Is there some kind of setting i can enable to prevent that from happening? Sadly I can't share any data since our IT prevents it. The problem is that we have a lot of imported .asm (from step files), which all have their connections on Automatic, and I can't fix them all. Previously this wasn't a problem and the connections of a sub.asm wouldn't be influenced by a upper asm, but something changed

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:DG_8658207)

You need to fully constrain all of your parts. Creo uses a bounding box in order to determine part positions. If parts aren't fully constrained (ie they have a box next to the component in the model tree) then they will move when the bounding box changes. It is a known issue.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:DG_8658207)

You need to fully constrain all of your parts. Creo uses a bounding box in order to determine part positions. If parts aren't fully constrained (ie they have a box next to the component in the model tree) then they will move when the bounding box changes. It is a known issue.

Top Tags