cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Technical Data Package creation, MBD and related

jbailey
17-Peridot

Technical Data Package creation, MBD and related

Have any organizations come up with a unified "Technical Data Package" that Following guidance from 14.41, 14.47 and MIL-STD31000B ?

It would be interesting to see how companies are formulating their data packages to use both internal to your org and externally, and what data comes from ERP, PLM, and CAD (And how you handle propagating notes from CAD to PLM)

EDIT: I am not looking for an answer necessarily, more of a discussion

4 REPLIES 4
Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:jbailey)

The answer is absolutely yes. The next thing you are going to want is to see examples and I think that might be where you hit a roadblock. Companies are unlikely going to want to share what they may see as competitive advantage.

Anark is a company that sells a 3D PDF product that a lot of people use. If you reach out to them they can provide some company examples that are not company specific.

We have looked into this and received examples from Anark. We are not currently utilizing it.

jbailey
17-Peridot
(To:Chris3)

Eh, for the size of implementation we have, ANARK's cost model is a complete no-go with us. I don't necessarily need to see examples, more like where folks may have determined that some good boundaries exist in their enterprise systems to say

"We Decided this portion of the TDP is going to come directly from CAD, This portion is going to come from PLM, and this portion is going to come from ERP  (add you other enterprise tools here)" 

I will use drawing notes as an example of data that is important to a TDP. For the entire 11 years at my organization, our drawing notes have been driven by model parameters. One place to enter and update, drawing updates automatically. However how does that transfer to the Windchill side so notes are searchable and reusable. Conversely, we could go the Windchill notes approach. Searchable, CM'd, reusable, and traceable (where used). But how does the CAD consumer use that? BOM File with WC notes listed as an associated file in the TDP? Obviously I am trying to come up with maximum usability and minimum (preferably zero) duplication of effort.

jbailey_0-1689780451378.png

Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:jbailey)

Here is our setup:

Creo Parametric: Drawings with notes and annotations.

Windchill: BOM and publisher that produces PDFs and Step. We have SOLR turned on so keyword searches return drawing notes.

SAP: Our SAP takes the Windchill BOM and issues kits and routers.

MES: We are just taking steps to stand up a MES for operational steps.

Weatherford has a highly customized version of Windchill I envy. Only CAD geometry goes on their drawings. Windchill prints out a cover page that then gets appended to the CAD PDF and the cover page has revision history, material, notes, signatory's and time stamps.

jbailey
17-Peridot
(To:Chris3)

I am working towards leveraging some of the Wincom tools and ability to use API & queries to build out coversheets as well. My biggest struggle is that annotation data and how to best represent it- We index as well, so it is searchable... but may not always be useful information. I would throw it on a cover sheet if I could pull it out of the CAD.

Top Tags