cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Trademark symbols (MC, MD) for French Translation

bfriesen
16-Pearl

Trademark symbols (MC, MD) for French Translation

I am updating the french xliff file to automatically change the TM symbol to MC, and the reg symbol to MD when published. I cannot seem to find any symbols that are already created in a superscript MC or MD. I have not seen any way to modify the text in the xliff file. 

mc symbol Screenshot 2024-02-08 130440.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Worked through the issue with Tim P @ptc support. The xlff file allows for text to swapped when you translate. The issue with the xlff file is that you do not  get to add any sort of styling to the text. So we ended up making the changes in the stylesheet to test for tm and procedure to xml lang:fr. This allows you to style the MC and MD as required. Thanks Tim.

Bryon

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

I did find this, but I do not know how to use unicode in the xliff file.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/14960218/how-can-i-add-the-french-trademark-symbol-md

The MC and MD symbols do appear as single superscript symbols in Unicode, though not necessarily in all fonts, as 1F16A and 1F16B respectively:

• MC = marque de commerce, Unicode 1F16A 🅪, HTML 🅪 (in English TM trade mark sign)
  • MD = marque déposée, Unicode 1F16B 🅫, HTML 🅫 (in English R registered sign)

These symbols are generally used in Canadian French.

Sources:

Worked through the issue with Tim P @ptc support. The xlff file allows for text to swapped when you translate. The issue with the xlff file is that you do not  get to add any sort of styling to the text. So we ended up making the changes in the stylesheet to test for tm and procedure to xml lang:fr. This allows you to style the MC and MD as required. Thanks Tim.

Bryon

Top Tags