cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

How can I convert files from mathcad prime 3.1 to work in mathcad 3

emurray
1-Newbie

How can I convert files from mathcad prime 3.1 to work in mathcad 3

Hi All,

All my files had been made using Mathcad 3.1 but at the moment I need to open them on a machine which has  Mathcad 3.0 installed and it doesn't have the option of the converter application. can anyone please help me to resolve this?

thank you 

6 REPLIES 6
MJG
18-Opal
18-Opal
(To:emurray)

As ridiculous as it seems, this is not possible.

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:MJG)

Mark Gase wrote:

As ridiculous as it seems, this is not possible.

Technically, it probably is possible.  Write a DLL that unzips the 3.1 worksheet to text.  Parse the worksheet, write it out in Prime 3.0 format, zip the resulting file and Bob's your Uncle.

Practically, you're absolutely spot on.   And I am going to assiduously ignore that bit of my mind that is saying "You know, that might just be an interesting method to explore ...".

Stuart

I didn't spend a lot of time on it, but I have actually already tried to do this (manually, not with a DLL).  I was unsuccessful.

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:emurray)

Ed Murray wrote:

Hi All,

All my files had been made using Mathcad 3.1 but at the moment I need to open them on a machine which has  Mathcad 3.0 installed and it doesn't have the option of the converter application. can anyone please help me to resolve this?

thank you

There is no backward capability on Prime 3.1.  So, unless you manage to get the person to upgrade to 3.1, the question you have to ask yourself is "How good am I at typing?".

In many senses, but not all, you are better served by writing your worksheets in Mathcad 15 (which is covered by your Prime 3.1 licence) and then using the xmcd to mcdx convertor to generate an equivalent Prime 3.1 worksheet.   This way, you can pass the M15 worksheet to your Prime 3.0 colleagues and let them convert to Prime 3.0.   In many instances, the resulting worksheets will run without change or with only a few changes to account for the M15/Prime differences.   Sometimes, it will involve more work.   If you know you're going to have to run your worksheets in a mainly Prime environment, then write your M15 worksheets to allow easy migration.

Stuart

See please

Hi all,

Thank you very much for all your responses. As expected bad news. anyway I better start preparing for a good typing as Stuart mentioned or change to another software like Matlab.

Thank you

Top Tags