cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Indexing for Advance in Time

JohnRudnicki
14-Alexandrite

Indexing for Advance in Time

I have a program that I have written for a fixed time step and then advanced it for two, but obviously I want to do this for many. I thought I could just do this with a for loop but I have various matrix operations in the program and cannot get the indexing right. Do I need to convert everything to indicies? There must be a simpler, more elegant and efficient way.

The program is highlighted and annotated at the bottom of the worksheet. There are some auxiliary programs at the top. I am using MathCad 14. (BTW I do have a reason for setting the ORIGIN to -N, but I do not think this is relevant).

Thanks in advance for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

A quick hack would be to use my "WedgeNew" function in a loop and collect the results column-wise in a matrix:

Werner_E_0-1713361387086.png

But its more efficient to rewrite the WedgeNew function to do the job right away:

Werner_E_1-1713361433959.png

So when you demand for 20 steps, the results of "disp" and "pres" would be a 11 x 20 matrix each.

Werner_E_2-1713361598269.png

Mathcad 15 sheet attached

EDIT: I just noted that you sure can delete this loop

Werner_E_3-1713362551942.png

in the various "Wedge" functions as is has no effect. Y is never used later and Y would be identical to X anyway.

While I am at it - you can replace the nested loops

Werner_E_4-1713363280884.png

used to create matrix K by using the matrix command

Werner_E_5-1713363298821.png

But when I now compare the two, I guess the second isn't much easier or shorter and the nested loops may show clearer which calculation is applied, 😉

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

It looks to me that you are only interested in the results of the last iteration step, right?

So it would not be necessary to store all the intermediate results in a matrix.

Here is what I came up with - hope it helps.

Werner_E_0-1713290624397.png

Werner_E_1-1713290887078.png

Not sure if the animation makes much sense

Ani1.gif

Worksheet and avi attached

JohnRudnicki
14-Alexandrite
(To:Werner_E)

Hi Werner,

Thanks. The animation does make perfect sense! Although it was not clear from the worksheet I posted I do want to store the values from all the steps. When I get all done, I want to plot certain features of the calculation as a function of time. I wanted to store, e.g. the values of u in a matrix with each column being the results at an individual time step. This what I could not figure out how to index.

John

A quick hack would be to use my "WedgeNew" function in a loop and collect the results column-wise in a matrix:

Werner_E_0-1713361387086.png

But its more efficient to rewrite the WedgeNew function to do the job right away:

Werner_E_1-1713361433959.png

So when you demand for 20 steps, the results of "disp" and "pres" would be a 11 x 20 matrix each.

Werner_E_2-1713361598269.png

Mathcad 15 sheet attached

EDIT: I just noted that you sure can delete this loop

Werner_E_3-1713362551942.png

in the various "Wedge" functions as is has no effect. Y is never used later and Y would be identical to X anyway.

While I am at it - you can replace the nested loops

Werner_E_4-1713363280884.png

used to create matrix K by using the matrix command

Werner_E_5-1713363298821.png

But when I now compare the two, I guess the second isn't much easier or shorter and the nested loops may show clearer which calculation is applied, 😉

Top Tags