cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Is it Prime 3.0 OR 15 - can I swap between without having to re-enter my work?

ptc-4554973
1-Newbie

Is it Prime 3.0 OR 15 - can I swap between without having to re-enter my work?

Hi,

can I swap back and forth to compare Prime with 15 before I decide which path to go down or is that a dream (or nightmare).

I can't see a way to go from Prime 3.0 to 15 (though I have converted files the other way).

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sadly, the answer is no; Prime cannot export downward.

TTFN

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Sadly, the answer is no; Prime cannot export downward.

TTFN

Doesn't even seem to be possible to cut and paste between editors either.

(@ASSIGN (@INDEX (@LABEL VARIABLE (@ID ω (@SUB s))) n) (@INDEX (@ID ω (@SUB s)) n))

(@INDEX (! @PLACEHOLDER))

or is that a dream (or nightmare).

Prime? - rather a nightmare, I would say.

Unfortunately there is no way to convert from Prime to real Mathcad.

It won't even be possible to convert or save a Prime 3 file into Prime 2 format - thats the PTC way.

ELSID
4-Participant
(To:Werner_E)

It won't even be possible to convert or save a Prime 3 file into Prime 2 format - thats the PTC way.

Not 100% true. Other software packages do the same. Although they allow you to open the file, you just lose functionality. AutoCAD MicroStation, MS Office, Adobe, all do the same. The difference is similar to MathCAD Prime Express. This is what PTC should do to ALL files so that they open in older Prime versions.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:ELSID)

ELSID wrote:

Not 100% true. Other software packages do the same. Although they allow you to open the file, you just lose functionality. AutoCAD MicroStation, MS Office, Adobe, all do the same. The

What's not 100% true? The point was, that its not possible to save or convert a Prime 3 file in Prime 2 format so that it could be opened with an older version of Prime.

This CAN definitely be done in M$ Office and Adobe Acrobat - they both can save a current file in an older format so that it can be opened with an older version of the software. M$ even provides filters so you can access new files directly with older versions. Of course only features present in the older version would be availlable, thats clear.

And while common sense would dictate that things should and must work that way, PTC is far away from it.

ELSID
4-Participant
(To:Werner_E)

Werner, that is why I said that they can open, just crippled. I think we are saying the same thing

ElSid wrote:
This is what PTC should do to ALL files so that they open in older Prime versions.

Werner Exinger wrote:

Of course only features present in the older version would be availlable, thats clear.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:ELSID)

Oh, now I see where the misunderstanding came from - its my English.

I wrote "It won't even be possible to convert or save a Prime 3 file into Prime 2 format". What I really wanted to say is that PTC does not provide any way of doing so (so its not possible for us users to do so). Of course it would be possible for PTC to implement that feature (with the restriction concerning new features) and they should have done so from the very beginning.

tietjee
14-Alexandrite
(To:ptc-4554973)

There other programs that do not allow saving to previous version, example SolidWorks. This is well documented. Our office is usually a version behind any release and always maintain old versions for customer support. Upgrading files is seamless and 100% in the conversion. It does make life a little more difficult, but we plan on the changes. That being said, Prime3 has some serious problems in just its usability. Still not worth upgrading to it.

Top Tags