cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Sort Through Multiple Matrices to Identify Controlling Value v14

ptc-6602401
1-Newbie

Sort Through Multiple Matrices to Identify Controlling Value v14

I have created a sheet and come to the end where I now need some help with a routine I believe. I have a thickness variable titled t.g and the corresponding Performance Ratios shown next to those thicknesses. The columns represent the grades of steel I am using. Now i need a routine to look through all three matrices and find the first instance of when all three have a value of 1.0 or greater. When that occurs I would like it to output what thickness and what grade of steel that corresponds to. Attached is my sheet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-6602401)

Mu/Mr is never greater than 1. The first instance of Pu/Pr or CSR being greater than 1 is simply the first element in each matrix.

I guess I'm missing something here

Richard -

Sorry ... I now realize how confusing my original post was. Let me see if I can do better this time.

The 3 different ratios can be called performance ratios. The idea is that the closest you can get to 1 without exceeding 1 is the most economical design. The thing is that all 3 ratios must satisfy this requirement for it to work. For the example I posted if I look at thickness of t.g = 0.375 in and using Grade 55 ksi steel (row 3, column 2 in the performance ratios) I can see the requirement is satisfied for Mu/Mr = 0.002 and CSR = 0.944 however for Pu/Pr = 1.077. So this would not work. My goal is to write a routine that can find the first one that satisfies this requirement for all three as this would be the most economical. And then the ultimate goal would be for the routine to return the thickness and grade to me. For my example that would be t.g= 0.438in using 50 ksi steel (row 4, column 1. All of the performance ratios are less than 1.0).

PS ... The example that I posted is poor because I forgot to input a value for Mu.that has any significance. In most instances this will be approx. 500 kip-ft or more.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to me. I really appreciate it.

Attached shows one method.

1.create local copies of the arrays.

2.eliminate the values >1 (change to -100)

3.form a composite of the 3 arrays (I chose min(...) - selection of this function dictated the -100 in step 2)

4.find the maximum value that remains.

step 3 is the one that you will need to be most careful of especially if you want to adjust the weighting of the various parameters

Regards

Andy

Top Tags