cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Symbolic Integral Evaluation "Incompatible Arguments in Range"

ptc-5658131
1-Newbie

Symbolic Integral Evaluation "Incompatible Arguments in Range"

Hello Everyone!

I have been searching for this problem and haven't found anything similar, so decided to post a new thread. Your inputs will be so much appreciated.

I am trying to symbolically solve the integral of the attached file and I keep getting the same error “Incompatible arguments in range”

Has anyone have any clues how to solve this?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I didn't see the error with your first integral and I had to stop evaluation of the last one as it seems to run "forever" and was eating up all system ressources.

The first integral gave a solution but basically the integral wasn't calculated, also "simplify" didn't help.

Mathcad interestingly enough can solve the corresponding indefinte integral quickly and without pain. Do you really need a symbolic solution for symbolic t1 and t2? Then you could use I(t2)-I(t1) where I() is the solution of the indefinte integral.

As Mathcad can solve without limits it should be able to do so for the definite integral as well. Oftne it helps to add additional assumptions (that a variable is not complex but pure real, or that a variable is always greater than 0, etc.) In case of your problem Mathcad is willing to solve the definite integral if you make assumtions about the order of l and r. I could solve for l>r, l=r and l<r respectively.

See attached file. In case you use a different MC version which throws the errror you reported, I attach a pdf of the file as well.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

I didn't see the error with your first integral and I had to stop evaluation of the last one as it seems to run "forever" and was eating up all system ressources.

The first integral gave a solution but basically the integral wasn't calculated, also "simplify" didn't help.

Mathcad interestingly enough can solve the corresponding indefinte integral quickly and without pain. Do you really need a symbolic solution for symbolic t1 and t2? Then you could use I(t2)-I(t1) where I() is the solution of the indefinte integral.

As Mathcad can solve without limits it should be able to do so for the definite integral as well. Oftne it helps to add additional assumptions (that a variable is not complex but pure real, or that a variable is always greater than 0, etc.) In case of your problem Mathcad is willing to solve the definite integral if you make assumtions about the order of l and r. I could solve for l>r, l=r and l<r respectively.

See attached file. In case you use a different MC version which throws the errror you reported, I attach a pdf of the file as well.

Werner - Thank you so much for your answer. That helped me a lot!

For some reason, my Mathcad did not give same results as yours - maybe version issue. Mine is Mathcad 14.0 M020 (14.0.2.5).

Event the indefinite integral did not work in my version. I had to do some approximations to make it run - the term under the square root is ~ 1, so I removed from the vp(t) funcion and I could get it solved.

Glad you also sent the PDF. Could you also please check if your Matchcad version can solve the cubed function as well? If you can, really appreciate if you can post it here in PDF for my reference...

Thanks again.

As far as I remember quite some errors in the integral tables of the symbolics were fixed with Mathcad 15.

I am using the current MC15 M030 and I already suspected you would be using an older release because of the error message you reported (therefore the pdf).

As you already used approximations, why don't you provide values for l,r,w,t1 anm dt2 and evaluate it numerically?

I tried the indefinite integral of the cubed function but Mathcad crashed after a (long) while.

Top Tags