cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

converter Mathcad prime 7 fails on Mathcad 15 files

ashaikh945
6-Contributor

converter Mathcad prime 7 fails on Mathcad 15 files

I just downloaded Mathcad Prime 7 to see how it would work in converting my Mathcad 15 files. The converter fails and aborts each time, although Prime 7 can still open the Mathcad 15 files (format is not good though). Any suggestions on why this is happening? Many thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ashaikh945
6-Contributor
(To:Werner_E)

Werner, thank you so much for your attention. I have Prime 7, and that is where the converter fails to convert an .mcd file. The particular file I sent you calls data from the same folder so it should have empty calls, that is not the problem: Prime 7 converter will simply not open it. I should have been more careful about sending you a file, but since I cannot open them any longer, I have to guess.

I think this new attached file does not call any outside data, but the Prime 7 converter fails to open this and then aborts. I have a trial version of Prime 7, and I would have bought the full version at the end of the trial were it not for this most important glitch. I suppose I could wait for Prime 8, and wait to find out how expensive it will be. Any ideas on that? 

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

You can attach your Mathcad 15 files here for us to take a look at.

ashaikh945
6-Contributor
(To:VladimirN)

Here is one of the files, thanks for the help.

Here is what the converter of Prime 6 produced. No error or abort but the file itself is not working on its own (neither in Prime nor in real Mathcad) because it seems to be part of a larger project, maybe its a file which is included in another one.

ashaikh945
6-Contributor

Werner, thank you so much for your attention. I have Prime 7, and that is where the converter fails to convert an .mcd file. The particular file I sent you calls data from the same folder so it should have empty calls, that is not the problem: Prime 7 converter will simply not open it. I should have been more careful about sending you a file, but since I cannot open them any longer, I have to guess.

I think this new attached file does not call any outside data, but the Prime 7 converter fails to open this and then aborts. I have a trial version of Prime 7, and I would have bought the full version at the end of the trial were it not for this most important glitch. I suppose I could wait for Prime 8, and wait to find out how expensive it will be. Any ideas on that? 

Take a look.

P.S. Yes, it's better to wait for version 8.

ashaikh945
6-Contributor
(To:VladimirN)

Sigh. Will do, many thanks

If you need more help with converting your Mathcad 15 files - just send me a private message.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:ashaikh945)

This file (AMS1_47.MCD) is not much different from the previous file. This file also depends on a number of external data files (.prn files). Here is how it starts:

LucMeekes_0-1647294976146.png

And Vladimir provided the Prime conversion, which does open in my Prime 7 Express:

LucMeekes_1-1647295148511.png

If you have the corresponding data files, then it may be worthwile to edit the READPRN statements so that they refere to the data files in the correct Prime way and see if all calculates.

Success!
Luc

ashaikh945
6-Contributor

Thank you. This is an old file made with Mathcad 15, which no longer works, so I cannot see what is inside!. The file is meant to call data, but the problem is not that, but rather that the converter in the trial version of Prime 7 will not convert it because the converter fails. I gather you converted it in Prime 6, which I do not have. Is it that the trial version Prime 7 converter is not meant to actually convert .mcd files, even though it says it can? I would be quite a defect, I would think, and anyway, it does not say that!

And yes, if I can convert it I will change the data call to what Prime 7 uses. I was able to do this on an .mcdx file that I had previously converted via Prime 3. If my Prime 3 is still working, I suppose I could convert the large number of .mcd file to that and then reconvert them to Prime 7. But that would really be a pain. I want a program that can convert them as I need them.  

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:ashaikh945)

The file is a (real) Mathcad 5 file, and it appears to calculate alright,

BUT: It needs the following datafiles in order to have data to work with:

APRNV172.prn, DPRNV172.prn, KPRNV172.prn, MPRDIAG.prn, TRNOV_V1.prn, LL72.prn, MPRVEC.prn and Y72.prn

Here's the start of the file:

LucMeekes_0-1646764040449.png

Success!
Luc

Hmm, when I open the MCD file in MC15 I see this:

Werner_E_0-1646765462895.png

That is I see

APRNV172

and not

"APRNV172.prn"

???

So I see variable names and not path-strings, which was the reason I suspected that the file would be an include file of a larger project.

Does it mean that MC15 is making this error when opening a MC5 file??

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

If you look into the file, it only has the names for these .prn files. I guess back at the time, and in Mathcad 5, given that each filename is an argument to the READPRN function, the extension .prn was implied. That 'policy' must have been abandoned somewhere.

Luc

Its not only the extension prn which makes the difference. The main difference I see is that MC15 does not show any string, so it has to be assumed its a variable name. I your picture (I guess you opened the file with MC11) I see nice quotes making up for a correct filename argument.

When I look at the file with  a text editor, I see

{0:I}NAME:{0:identity}NAME(71)
.EQN 3 0 1 0
{0:A}NAME:{0:READPRN}NAME({0:APRNV172}NAME)
.TXT 0 27 2 0
So it looks to me that APRNV172 actually is meant to be a name and not a string but I don't know how a string would have been represented in that old format so I can't be sure..

I wonder where the quotes and the extension prn in our screenshot stem from. Do they stem from MC11 or did you add them manually?

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

If I remember well, Mathcad 5 didn't know strings. You just supplied the file name as an argument to the READPRN function and it would use it as the file name, the .prn extension must have been implied.

Luc

ashaikh945
6-Contributor

I created all the .mcd files in Mathcad 15, so it makes sense that earlier version of Mathcad may see different things. But as I said, it worked fine in Mathcad 15 (which has stopped working since the license expired because it is no longer supported). I have decided to wait until Prime 8 comes out in a week or so, though I have so little faith in these new people that run Prime now. 

Ah, here's some good (breaking) news: Mathcad Prime 8 is out right now instead of in a week.

I manage the Creo and PTC Mathcad YouTube channels for PTC, as well as all PTC Mathcad marketing in general.

Hey ashaikh945,

Regarding your account locked out issue, I have unlocked your account  and emailed a password reset link to this Email ID.
Hope you can reset the password and login.

BR,
vnamboodheri

Top Tags