cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Importing an ACAD dxf file into Creo 2.0 drawing

ptc-5188714
1-Newbie

Importing an ACAD dxf file into Creo 2.0 drawing

Has anyone had trouble importing a dxf file into a CREO drawing? I created a schematic drawing in AutoCAD Mechanical, saved it as a dxf, then tried importing it into a drawing in CREO, and it crashes the program every time. I have tried saving different versions of dxf, exploded all the blocks, and deleted all the layers except the "0" layer, and it still crashes the program every time. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this or a different way of importing the dxf?

Thanks, everyone!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3
DavorGranic
14-Alexandrite
(To:ptc-5188714)

Dunno how complicated your schematic is. Maybe open it in part as sketch and then use that model in drawing?

It seems to be any time I tr to import a dxf. I tried importing it into the sketch of a part and it crashed CREO. Thanks for the idea though! I think I'm going to try to import it into SolidWorks to see if there are any issues.

There does seem to be limits to entity counts in the DXF import. I often receive error messages when importing DXF into sketches. Maybe your system isn't handling the error very nicely.

However: try this - open the DXF as a part file. Then you can set up a drawing using the newly created part and defining a view. You can then scale that view to fit the page. You might need pen tables to get a decent output with regard to line weights for the resulting PDF output.

Of course, you can always submit the file to PTC in a support case. They really do want to know about files that cause a hard crash. These are considered high priority issues. If you submit the file to them, they can at least confirm the problem is universal and start digging into it. Either way, you will get some feedback from PTC as to what the issue might be.

Top Tags