cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

setup.exe does not open install wizard (but background process starts in task manager)

horix
4-Participant

setup.exe does not open install wizard (but background process starts in task manager)

Hello, I'm trying to upgrade to Creo 10. I received my license text files through email. I went to the software download page and got the latest version of Creo 10 (Version: 10-0-4-0) and downloaded the .zip file.

The problem I'm having is that the setup.exe file does not seem to work. When I double click or right click>run as administrator nothing ever happens and no installation window ever opens. However, when I go into Windows Task Manager I see a process called "PTC Installation Assistant" which is running. If I don't end that process I get an error when trying to re-run the setup.exe file which states "Please exit the already running installer or uninstaller first."

I was able to successfully run the "install_license_server.exe" and it recognized the license lm___.txt file and installed the license server successfully. That does not seem to help getting the setup.exe file to work. I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise.

I've seen a few possible solutions on this forum that have so far not worked:

1. I turned hypervisorlaunchtype off and rebooted without any difference in behavior.

2. I moved the install folder to my root directory on C:\ and tried running setup.exe from there without any luck either (apparently the pathway to the setup.exe file can cause issues if it has odd/international characters). 

3. I've also tried downloading/running the "install from web" .exe file that PTC provides on their download page and that also fails to work with similar behavior (PTC Installation Assistant opens as a background process in task manager, but nothing happens).

4. I've also tried running the file using an administrator driven command prompt with the same issue.

Another odd/weird data point is that for whatever reason the setup-trial.exe file seems to work perfectly fine! However, obviously I do not want to install the trial software I want and paid for the full version. But I was wondering if there is perhaps a way to "convert" the trial install to the full package after the fact?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
horix
4-Participant
(To:horix)

Luckily I was able to install Creo 10 with the help of PTC's customer tech support. My tech was able to email me some .xml files and a .bat file that ran them and did what he called their "silent installation." We think my corporate IT has various security systems running on my PC that I couldn't turn off or deactivate myself. Luckily running the silent install method seemed to circumvent whatever was blocking the install process from actually opening. I'm now up and running with Creo 10 and I've opened an IT ticket to try and get my Creo installation whitelisted from whatever was blocking it.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Hi,

you ran the "install_license_server.exe" ... maybe you installed second instance of FLEXnet service. Such "situation" can cause problems.

Martin Hanák
horix
4-Participant
(To:MartinHanak)

I uninstalled the old FLEXnet service/server before installing the new one. The .exe file also didn't work prior to me deleting/updating the license server.

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

@horix wrote:

I uninstalled the old FLEXnet service/server before installing the new one. The .exe file also didn't work prior to me deleting/updating the license server.

Hi,

when I launch setup.exe, installer creates pim subdirectory in %APPDATA% directory and displays following window

MartinHanak_0-1713288965772.png

%APPDATA%\pim directory contents

MartinHanak_1-1713288965774.png

Martin Hanák
horix
4-Participant
(To:MartinHanak)

Yes, that pim folder is populated with those same .xml files on my machine as well. I deleted the pim folder to make sure and when I run setup.exe that pim folder gets created with all the same .xml files. I just don't ever see the Installation Assistant window pop up anywhere. It's a complete phantom it does not show up in task bar or minimized anywhere. 

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

@horix wrote:

Yes, that pim folder is populated with those same .xml files on my machine as well. I deleted the pim folder to make sure and when I run setup.exe that pim folder gets created with all the same .xml files. I just don't ever see the Installation Assistant window pop up anywhere. It's a complete phantom it does not show up in task bar or minimized anywhere. 

Hi,

my last suggestion: create new admin account, login and run setup.exe.

Martin Hanák
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Turn off any antivirus software you have running.

horix
4-Participant
(To:BenLoosli)

I've turned off windows defender, firewall protections, etc. with no change in behavior. Again the setup-trial.exe seems to bring up the install wizard just fine. Also it's not even like setup.exe is being blocked from opening or anything...task manager thinks setup.exe is opening/running just fine the process initiates and sits in the list idling just no physical window ever pops up.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Call your VAR and have them walk you through the installation.

horix
4-Participant

Luckily I was able to install Creo 10 with the help of PTC's customer tech support. My tech was able to email me some .xml files and a .bat file that ran them and did what he called their "silent installation." We think my corporate IT has various security systems running on my PC that I couldn't turn off or deactivate myself. Luckily running the silent install method seemed to circumvent whatever was blocking the install process from actually opening. I'm now up and running with Creo 10 and I've opened an IT ticket to try and get my Creo installation whitelisted from whatever was blocking it.

Top Tags