cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Wayfinder Widget: arrived/departed events do not show data on Hololens-2

Roccobarocco
12-Amethyst

Wayfinder Widget: arrived/departed events do not show data on Hololens-2

Hi all,
I'm using the Wayfinder widget in a 3DEye project for Hololens-2, the objective is to guide the user through different position in our company stand in exhibitions.
Here the widget setup:
Wayfinder widget propertiesWayfinder widget properties

I've left "Auto Advance" unchecked to intercept also the 'departed' event, as demonstrated in @ClayHelberg previous post and also because I need certain things to happen before switch to the next waypoint.
I use js listeners to catch the events like these:

$scope.$on('arrived', function(evt,arg) {
  let waypointId = arg.waypointId; console.log('waypointId: ', waypointId, ' type: ', typeof waypointId);
  console.error(`---- ON WAYPOINT: ARRIVED ----`);
  $scope.handleWaypointArrived(waypointId);
})
$scope.$on('departed', function(evt,arg) {
  let waypointId = arg.waypointId; console.log('waypointId: ', waypointId, ' type: ', typeof waypointId);
  console.error(`---- ON WAYPOINT: DEPARTED ----`);
  $scope.handleWaypointDeparted(waypointId);
})

In browser preview everything works as expected:
Events Console PrintEvents Console Print

Tested on Hololens-2 the handle-functions seems not being invoked, so I checked the VuforiaViewLog.txt
and found this:
VuforiaViewLog.txt Debug PrintVuforiaViewLog.txt Debug Print

Events are actually thrown, but with undefined/empty data field(?)

I've also tried using $rootScope instead of $scope for listeners, but it's still the same.

Do you guys have any hints? Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello @RolandRaytchev and thank you for your fast reply.

The reason I was expecting to get arguments from the event is because I've looked into "wayfinder-ng.js" trying to understand better how the widget works (usually there are obvious differences between mobile/hololens code) and find this:
wayfinder-ng.jpg

It seems the original events (raised by Hololens) are 'arrivednative' and 'departednative' that call 'scope.entered', 'scope.exited' and that finally fire 'arrived' and 'departed' events with an object '{ waypointId: waypointId }'.

For what I want to do the $watch solution doesn't fit because I need to change the active waypoint not automatically but after specific user actions.

Anyway I've found a workaround inspired from your example project and suggested solutions:

- when the event occur I ask to retrieve 'selectedWaypointIndex' property via $scope.getWidgetProp()

$scope.$on('arrived', function() {

let waypointId = Number( $scope.getWidgetProp('wayfinder-guide', 'selectedWaypointIndex') ); console.warn('waypointId: ', waypointId);

})

- in alternative we can connect 'selectedWaypointIndex' to a param via drag&drop ex: 'activeWpId'

wayfinder binding.jpg

and than retrieve and use the value from the param when the event occurs like before

let waypointId = Number( $scope.app.params['activeWpId'] ); console.warn('waypointId: ', waypointId);

})

The only "issue" with this solution is that the value retrieved is from a specific wayfinder-widget that could be different from the one that raised the event (actually I use only one wayfinder-widget so that's ok).

Both approaches work as expected on Hololens 2.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi @Roccobarocco ,

I am not sure if we could expect that there are arguments passed to the events e.g. arrive.

I used e.g. some code like this what was working on mobile and I think  this should work also on HoloLens- for arrive event callback:

$scope.testClbkArrived = function(text) {
 console.log("--->$scope.testClbkArrived ()::");
  for (var  i= 0; i < arguments.length; i++) 
   {if(DEBUG)console.log('Argument ['+i+']='+arguments[i]);}

if(DEBUG) console.warn(JSON.stringify($scope.app.view['Home'].wdg['wayfinder-1']))

let WaypointSelectedIndex=parseInt($scope.app.view['Home'].wdg['wayfinder-1']['selectedWaypointIndex'] )
 let WaypointValue=$scope.app.view['Home'].wdg['wayfinder-1']['waypointsData'][WaypointSelectedIndex].label 
 let Waypoi =$scope.app.view['Home'].wdg['wayfinder-1']['waypointsData'][WaypointSelectedIndex]

//arrived  ... you can add there your code when you arrived - e.g. make something visible e.g. below
   $scope.setWidgetProp("textArea-2","text","Arrived[indx="+WaypointSelectedIndex+"] to "+JSON.stringify(WaypointValue));

}

So ,  In case  that  there are arguments passed this should be reported arguments[] loop but it did not report the argument on my test so I used direct access to the waypoint finder - this work fine sofar if have one wayfinder widget

2023-10-02_16-55-57.jpg

another approach is to use  watch of the change on waypoint parameters e.g.

//======================================================================
$scope.$watch('view.wdg["wayfinder-1"].selectedWaypointIndex',function (newValue, oldValue, scope) { 
  console.warn('$scope.$watch(\"view.wdg[\"wayfinder-1\"].selectedWaypointIndex\"=' +newValue+");")     
  if((newValue != undefined) && (newValue != "")) { 
    $timeout(()=>{ 
                 $scope.app.myTrack()},10);//hidde all components of the assembly
                                                   }//if new value

})
//======================================================================

this construct will work for more wayfinder widgets - for each of them you need to define the $watch statement.

A demo project I used this code was in the post uploaded here 

Hello @RolandRaytchev and thank you for your fast reply.

The reason I was expecting to get arguments from the event is because I've looked into "wayfinder-ng.js" trying to understand better how the widget works (usually there are obvious differences between mobile/hololens code) and find this:
wayfinder-ng.jpg

It seems the original events (raised by Hololens) are 'arrivednative' and 'departednative' that call 'scope.entered', 'scope.exited' and that finally fire 'arrived' and 'departed' events with an object '{ waypointId: waypointId }'.

For what I want to do the $watch solution doesn't fit because I need to change the active waypoint not automatically but after specific user actions.

Anyway I've found a workaround inspired from your example project and suggested solutions:

- when the event occur I ask to retrieve 'selectedWaypointIndex' property via $scope.getWidgetProp()

let waypointId = Number( $scope.getWidgetProp('wayfinder-guide', 'selectedWaypointIndex') ); console.warn('waypointId: ', waypointId);

})

- in alternative we can connect 'selectedWaypointIndex' to a param via drag&drop ex: 'activeWpId'

wayfinder binding.jpg

and than retrieve and use the value from the param when the event occurs like before

let waypointId = Number( $scope.app.params['activeWpId'] ); console.warn('waypointId: ', waypointId);

})

The only "issue" with this solution is that the value retrieved is from a specific wayfinder-widget that could be different from the one that raised the event (actually I use only one wayfinder-widget so that's ok).

Both approaches work as expected on Hololens 2.

Top Tags