cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Nice discovery for Pro/INTRALINK 3.4 installations on Windows 7.

gleonard
1-Newbie

Nice discovery for Pro/INTRALINK 3.4 installations on Windows 7.

The Windows 7 workaround of having to set Compatibility Mode to Vista on the javaw.exe has caused us heartburn for two reasons:

1. Compatibility Mode can't be set on programs which exist on mapped network drives (that's how we happily deploy PTC apps here), or at least not permanently.

2. For home installations, we had to rely on the user (*shudder*) to make this change to theproiclient3.4\i486_nt\jre\bin\javaw.exeexecutable.

Well no more! We've discovered that if you add the lineset __COMPAT_LAYER=VISTARTM to your proilink3.4.bat launch batch file, the problem is GONE!!

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but we're excited to have found this! No apparent side effect arise with this setting. Please advise if you find differently.

Good weekend,

G.

7 REPLIES 7
proed
1-Newbie
(To:gleonard)

Hi George

Thanks for posting: this is a nice little tweak: just added to our startups.

I'd previously devised a registry file for this, but adding to startup is neater.

Cheers
Edwin Muirhead, CAD Manager, Weatherford

ps: FYI the registry entry is something like this:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]
"C:\\ptc\\ilink\\proiclient34M062\\i486_nt\\jre\\bin\\javaw.exe"="VISTARTM DISABLETHEMES"

In Reply to George Leonard:

The Windows 7 workaround of having to set Compatibility Mode to Vista on the javaw.exe has caused us heartburn for two reasons:

1. Compatibility Mode can't be set on programs which exist on mapped network drives (that's how we happily deploy PTC apps here), or at least not permanently.

2. For home installations, we had to rely on the user (*shudder*) to make this change to theproiclient3.4\i486_nt\jre\bin\javaw.exeexecutable.

Well no more! We've discovered that if you add the lineset __COMPAT_LAYER=VISTARTM to your proilink3.4.bat launch batch file, the problem is GONE!!

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but we're excited to have found this! No apparent side effect arise with this setting. Please advise if you find differently.

Good weekend,

G.

Hi George,

Yes, that is excellent!

I had heard that the other solution was to update the java content with
that from a 3.4 M070 install. I hadn't tested that yet and now it looks
like I don't have to fret about it.

Thanks!

Just getting around to trying this on Win-7, 64bit...

This (setting ENV variable) is a great little fix for getting Pro/I 3.4 (I'm using M050; what date code is being used by the original author) to at least launch, but does not help with actually opening a file. Here is the process I followed: (My environment: WF3, M250; Pro/I 3.4, M050; Win 7, 64bit, SP1)

Edit the Pro/I launch script;
Create a Workspace;
Check out a small part;
Select the Workspace folder;
Select the object therein; Rt-Click to Open in Pro/E;
Pro/E launches, but the object is NOT opened in Pro.

Interestingly, I can browse to the WS folder in Folder Navigator and open the part just fine.

Also, even though I have the CONFIG.PRO option FILE_OPEN_DEFAULT_FOLDER set to WORKSPACE as is our standard, when I hit File --> Open, I get the C:\Users\<user_name>\Documents folder. Any thoughts on why this setting isn't being honored?

--Jim Augeri
MCAD Tool Support - Engineering Quality and Tools (EQT)
Honeywell Aerospace
9201 San Mateo Blvd. (MS B-3)
Albuquerque, NM 87113
Phone - 505.828.5808
Fax - 505.828.5500
james.a.augeri@honeywell.com<">mailto:james.a.augeri@honeywell.com>

"Never again will one generation of veterans abandon another."
Founding Principle of Vietnam Veterans of America

This e-mail message and any attachments are for the use of the intended recipient(s) and may be controlled by U.S. export control laws. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution of this communication in whole or in part without the express written consent of Honeywell, or the U.S. Government as required, is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient(s), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy the original message and any copies of the message as well as any attachment(s) to the original message.

Jim,

Does your install path for Intralink or Pro|E include a space in it?

The group I am with upgraded to Win7 64-bit (ilink 3.4 and WF4) about a year and a half back and discovered (about 1 month too late) that if you have a space in either install path, Intralink will have some problems working with Pro|E. In our case, because we are installed to ".\PTC\Wildfire 4", the import and export functions kick out an error trying to find "\bin\proe.bat" and we cannot open files direcly from Intralink.

In answer to Lawrence's question...

Does your install path for Intralink or Pro|E include a space in it?
No; our installation paths are void of ANY special characters, including spaces, periods, etc. And, we kept them as short as feasible. (C:\EngApps\PTC\WF3 & ...\ilink34)

Been there; had that problem.

--Jim Augeri
MCAD Tool Support - Engineering Quality and Tools (EQT)
Honeywell Aerospace
9201 San Mateo Blvd. (MS B-3)
Albuquerque, NM 87113
Phone - 505.828.5808
Fax - 505.828.5500
james.a.augeri@honeywell.com<">mailto:james.a.augeri@honeywell.com>

"Never again will one generation of veterans abandon another."
Founding Principle of Vietnam Veterans of America

This e-mail message and any attachments are for the use of the intended recipient(s) and may be controlled by U.S. export control laws. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution of this communication in whole or in part without the express written consent of Honeywell, or the U.S. Government as required, is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient(s), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy the original message and any copies of the message as well as any attachment(s) to the original message.
egifford
4-Participant

George,

What date code of Intralink 3.4 are you running? This fix was a nice tweak for us and works great with Intralink 3.4 M030 - thanks! However I'm migrating us to 3.4 M062 so we can go to Wildfire 4. Everything has gone smoothly except adding the "set COMPAT_LAYER=VISTARTM" tweak in the intralink startup .bat filesdoesn'twork with M062 - I get a "java.lang.NullPointerException null" in the .pro.log file and the client fails tostart. I have had to revert to setting the compatibility on the javaw.exe to Vista SP2 to get the M062 client to start on Windows 7. Anyone have any idea why this is?

Regards,

Erik

Good weekend,

G.

proed
1-Newbie

Hi Erik

We have it working with M062/M060 here - seems fine, not seen that error. I would check java paths, etc. You never know, someone at PTC Tech support may still help you: I had success the other day with an Ilink 3.4 server issue!! 🙂

Edwin

In Reply to Erik Gifford:

George,

What date code of Intralink 3.4 are you running? This fix was a nice tweak for us and works great with Intralink 3.4 M030 - thanks! However I'm migrating us to 3.4 M062 so we can go to Wildfire 4. Everything has gone smoothly except adding the "set COMPAT_LAYER=VISTARTM" tweak in the intralink startup .bat filesdoesn'twork with M062 - I get a "java.lang.NullPointerException null" in the .pro.log file and the client fails tostart. I have had to revert to setting the compatibility on the javaw.exe to Vista SP2 to get the M062 client to start on Windows 7. Anyone have any idea why this is?

Regards,

Erik

Good weekend,

G.

Top Tags