cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

XML files stored in Windchill

WayneBeck
1-Newbie

XML files stored in Windchill

How do you edit xml files stored in windchill. We use these for some of our NC processes. Windchill sees these files as Pro/E files so you can add them to a workspace. Once in the workspace you cannot export it or open it. Any help would be great.

8 REPLIES 8

You can use any XML editor or simply use notepad++. This is what I use to edit any XML files in Windchill.

Alexius C. Chukwuka
IT Analyst, Global SAP Basis
Technical Change Management (TCM)
Deere & Company World Headquarters
400 19th St, Moline, IL 61265
Office: (309) 765-3133
Mobile: (319) 429-5336

How do you get them out of windchill to edit them?

You need to find the location of these files on your Windchill install point and simply download them to your desktop. I use an application called WinSCP to access the folders and other windchill locations on my file system in UNIX. If you are using windows OS, simple use windows explorer or do a search for the file you are interested in and then download it.

Alexius C. Chukwuka

Think we are talking about different files. I am not wanting to edit config files for windchill, but tooling files to be used in Pro/NC for drills and taps. We uploaded these into windchill when we upgraded from Intralink and this is the first time we have tried to edit them.

These files are either created as WT Documents or CAD Documents by the migratino - need to find out which. If WT Documents, you're all set. If CAD Documents, need to get your money back from whoever helped do the mgration.

If WT Documents,
To use, simply
- Download file

To modify, simply
- Check out and Download
- Edit the file, save
- Check in

Sorry, I assumed you were referring to Config files. Mike's suggestion seems like the way to go.

Alexius C. Chukwuka

They are showing up as CAD Docs would be my guess as we can add them to a workspace and have no option to download content.

bfrandsen
6-Contributor
(To:WayneBeck)

Wayne,
if the files are not exportable from the embedded browser in ProE, try to set this config.pro option.
allow_import_file_extension xml
At my site the option is set to txt, sym, dtl, ttl, bnd to import/export various Pro/E standard files to have them under revision control in Windchill.
In Reply to Wayne Beck:

How do you edit xml files stored in windchill. We use these for some of our NC processes. Windchill sees these files as Pro/E files so you can add them to a workspace. Once in the workspace you cannot export it or open it. Any help would be great.

Bjarne Frandsen

(Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 4.0 M170andWindchill 9.1M060 on Windows)

Top Tags