cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Thumbnail regeneration restarting every morning from scratch

ScottMoorman
5-Regular Member

Thumbnail regeneration restarting every morning from scratch

We recently changed our default thumbnail size - so I needed to regenerate thumbnails.

For this I did RegenerateLatestRepresentationThumbnails in WVS  Job Scheduler Adminstrator (at Site level).

That seemed to be working until I realized it was starting at the same place every day.  We have a scheduled backup that stops everything while it's backing up - that must be what is causing this?

Any suggestions?  Why is it regenerating the same thumbnails if it's only supposed to be doing latest?

It gets through about 8000, and I've got a LOT more than that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ScottMoorman
5-Regular Member
(To:ScottMoorman)

As it happens - the issue WAS our SQL server backup that was stopping various services every night..  We suspended that and the job is continuing to run (>24 hours) as expected.  Once it's complete we'll resume the normal backups.  Thanks everyone for the tips  - it's unclear if the scope or frequency of the job was impacting it as much as the SQL backup.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Sorry for late reply. Still an issue or have you solved it.  Some questions. Is the task being completed properly? This should do a query (large) then start populating jobs in the publishing queue. Once the list is complete, this job should be finished and the system will burn those regeneration jobs to 0.  Did you set this job to be immediate and once or did you set a job frequency? If the latter, it will respawn every day on the schedule. You should be able to delete that job in the same UI as below. I think Latest is the latest iteration of the objects. What do you expect the total count to be? Look at your Master object count.

avillanueva_0-1704375535634.png

ScottMoorman
5-Regular Member
(To:avillanueva)

I've tried a few different things - and I've had no luck.  It appears to restart from the same point every day, i.e. it's doing the same files at the "beginning" of the list over and over.  I've tried both scheduled and immediate with the same result..

I THINK what's happening is that our server shuts down overnight to allow for a clean backup.  At that point when it comes back up - it re-starts that job at the beginning.  (this is speculation).

I actually have a list of the parts that I want regenerated (a very long list - but short enough it would probably complete in a day) - so if I could do some sort of batch process that would work.  I'll probably just work with our VAR to get this done.  It's a one time thing - so it's not like I need to get this process refined.

If you are submitting a list of files to be republished, break the list down into smaller chunks and run a new list each day until the republish is completed.

ScottMoorman
5-Regular Member
(To:BenLoosli)

I don't know how to do this and I'm usually a pretty good button pusher/documentation reader.  I'm just not that familiar with batch operations in Creo or WIndchill.

Hi @ScottMoorman 

If you have more contexts (product library), try to publish just one context.

PetrH

ScottMoorman
5-Regular Member
(To:ScottMoorman)

As it happens - the issue WAS our SQL server backup that was stopping various services every night..  We suspended that and the job is continuing to run (>24 hours) as expected.  Once it's complete we'll resume the normal backups.  Thanks everyone for the tips  - it's unclear if the scope or frequency of the job was impacting it as much as the SQL backup.

Top Tags