cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Why do we have Clearcase SCM integration and also PTC's own product -Integrity SCM Solution (MKS product) within wind-chill???

ptc-4580207
1-Newbie

Why do we have Clearcase SCM integration and also PTC's own product -Integrity SCM Solution (MKS product) within wind-chill???

It is not clear to me why do we have clearcase integration (which is a competitor product to MKS) and also MKS integrity SCM tool (Now PTC product) in same wind chill platform.

Does this mean that Winchill user can still make independent decision of which SCM software to use or it was the just product evolution phase where wind chill integrated Clearcase first and later bought MKS integrity.

Does in any way having clearcase integration within wind chill will able to migrate database of clearcase to MKS integrity SCM smoothly or still we have same set of challenges like another data migration.

5 REPLIES 5

From what I remember, the Windchill Integration to Rational ClearCase was released in September 2006 in PDMLink 8 to address the needs of some specific customers. The CC integration also filled out the requirements for a sIngle BOM solution - MCAD/ECAD/Software; MKS was acquired in 2011. My guess is that the CC integration will be maintained for existing users and as a solution for non Integrity users. Perhaps PTC Derek Piette could comment further

Thanks Andre for your input & thoughts.....Lets wait to get Derek's persecptive.

It is very common for many customers to use more than 1 type of software configuration management system (SCM) to capture their source code in. SCM systems could be selected per department, business unit, or even development team. Providing customers with the ability to interface with more than 1 SCM system gives them the flexibility to choose their SCM system without restricting them to convert from 1 application to another, which may be costly and difficult. In addition, there many be a large amount of data (legacy or new) present in any of the SCM systems. The same analogy could be used for companies that use more than 1 CAD application to design their products.

The integrations with Rational ClearCase and Integrity does not provide customers the ability to migrate from 1 SCM system to another.

Derek,

I appreciate your input and this is what I wanted to know precisely.

Thank You Both-Andre & Derek for your contribution..

Derek,

Another clarification, Is MKS integrity is already integrated within Windchill, if not, Can you please provide the tentative roadmap for the full integration.

Also wanted to understand Does Windchill Native (with out MKS integrity) also provides basic SCM features.

Please do provide insight where we stand in terms Windchill Native for SCM features and as well as MKS Integrity -Full integration road map to Windchill.

Top Tags