cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Multistep Analysis?

spaelicke
1-Newbie

Multistep Analysis?

Hello,

I recently did an MEC/T Load on a rectangular plate to see the thermal stress distribution in that plate. For this case, I’m looking at the thermal stress distribution as the residual stress in the plate after the plate is cooled. Now that I’ve completed that analysis, I want to apply a force to the plate. This force should be the “second step” that is applied after the first step, which consisted of the MEC/T Load. Is there a way to do this using Creo Simulate?

Thank you!

Steven

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7
Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:spaelicke)

Yes it is possible. You want a MEC/T Load

Capture.PNG

Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:Chris3)

Sorry, I just re-read your question. I think you just need to apply an external force that is in the same load set and this will get you want you need.

Hi Steven,

There is, if you have the Simulate Advanced license...

Create a Static study with the Mech/T load to incorporate the stress from the thermal study.

Create either a Pre-stress study with the second load and referring to the static study above

or; Create 1 (non-linear/use load history's) static study containing 2 load sets; 1 with mech/t and 1 with second force.

During analyses definition click the f(x) to define the load history in time; time 0-0.2 'loadset 1 = 1, else 0 ', time 0.2-1 'loadset 2 = 1, else 0'

Hi Agnes,

Unfortunately I don't have the Simulate Advanced License, but I have found that I can create a nonlinear/use load histories static study if I put a pin in the plate, and define a contact interface between the two parts. That way I'm able to put the 2 load sets in the study, with the load history in time like you said. I have run into a problem though- after I run this analysis, Creo seems to only account for the 1st Load Set (MEC/T), even though I checked both boxes to include both Load sets. I'll keep working on this to see if I can get it to work, but so far that's the farthest I can get with this study.

Thank you,

Steven

Hi Steven,

Residual stress from temperature is a non-linear material thing. So you also need to define non-linear material properties otherwise the study will remain static in the sense that unloading will result in completely unloading of stress also; no residual stress. I'm sorry, but you cannot get any sensible results of this study without an Advanced license...

346gnu
12-Amethyst
(To:auijttewaal)

Yes, residual stresses are a non-linear material thing. Advanced license.

Everything else is linear elastic superposition; final result being independent of order of application of loads.

Additionally, structural contacts cannot be considered in a thermal model.

Hi everyone,

I see what you're saying- thank you for helping me to understand the situation better, and thank you for letting me know about the Advanced License.

-Steven

Top Tags