cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Mounting File Vaults from previous server

ThreeBlindMice
11-Garnet

Mounting File Vaults from previous server

I have a new application server and DB server, which will soon be the production server, replacing the current production server.  This new version of PDMLink is 12.1.2.7

Our current production server, soon to be old and retired server, is at PDMLink 12.0.2.4.  We want the transition between using these two servers somewhat seamless.  One day, the users will just log into the new server, and all the file vaults will be there.

So for this new production server, I manually copied over all the file vaults from the old server.  I then go through Windchill to Site > Utilities > File Server Administration > Vault configuration.  Unsurprisingly, I don't see the file vaults set up in the vault configuration. No worries, I look to the rehost utility guide for Windchill to see how to remount the vaults I manually copied over.  I get lots of failed attempts so I eventually open a case with PTC.  They are telling me since I am on a newer version of Windchill, 12.1, I cannot remount these file vaults from an instance of Windchill 12.0

I would have to clone the current production server, upgrade that to 12.1, then I would run the upgrade manager to mount these faults.  The crux of the issue being cannot mount file vaults from an older version of windchill, 12.0 to 12.1.

Does this sound right?  I want to get a second opinion on this.  Has anyone copied over file vaults from another server and mounted them successfully on their own? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Didn't end up using the upgrade manager tool.  I did delete the mount validation folders on the new server to delete references to the old production server.  I used the rehost utility to add the new DB and when that was complete it automatically added the vaults to the new server.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

After I copy over the file vaults to my new server, I go into each folder and delete the Mount_Validation_Data sub-folders.

I then tun the Upgrade Manager, telling it use the same vaults, but on the new swerver name.

After that I go into the Vault manager and remount all of the folders to the new server.

Thank you Ben.  So far, this seems to be the correct solution, I don't know why PTC is making my issue much more complicated than it needs to be.  I am stuck at a certain point on the Upgrade Manager, LDAP error code 1 when I try to start up Windchill services.  But at least it seems possible the way you described. 

Didn't end up using the upgrade manager tool.  I did delete the mount validation folders on the new server to delete references to the old production server.  I used the rehost utility to add the new DB and when that was complete it automatically added the vaults to the new server.

Top Tags