cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Output of primary contents to file server

tpfueller
1-Newbie

Output of primary contents to file server

Hi,

we have users who do not have access to PDMLink, but needs some documents stored in it.

Those documents are stored in PDM and there is an approval workflows where the documents is reviewed and released.

After the release process, messages are sent out to all related people, who needs to view the file.

However, there are colleagues who do not have access.

For them I would like to store the released document on a certain file server and send them the link to the file server.

Is there any smart way to send the document (= primary contents) to one or more file servers after successful release process AUTOMATICALLY?

Every help would be fine.

Kind regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
10 REPLIES 10

Tom,

Scenario you propose requires customization. Only configuration option would be tough is to have workflow email attachment to system not requiring Windchill license. From there you can do some email server magic.

Alternatively, and this can be ugly also, you provide access to the vault where data is stored, as a 'network drive', and the document is identified via the link you send. Set up a separate web server, point it to the vault storage area and construct URL to download via this way.  Keep in mind windchill encodes file names, so you would have to ensure URL you create knows the filename on disk.

The solution I just outlined is considered insecure, but an option to weigh.

Good luck.

Tom,

in Windchill 10.2 M030 you can send document via mail.

Take a look at this discussion What's New In Windchill 10.2 M010-M030 for Document Management

Marco

Hi Tom,

I confirm what others have already mentioned. So you have a lot of choice

In my personal experience, I have used PSW from Etrage for over 7 years. It published and delete monitor documents and created pdf of MS Office File, Creo drawings, Autocad drawings. I know that Etrage support more file format.

Another option not to be forgotten, which is the preferred option for PTC, is to buy Print&View licences

Best regards

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:tpfueller)

Why not give them read-only access to Windchill and then you don't have to worry about customizations, special purchased code or the additional disk space requirements.

because you need to buy additional licences which end up being more expensive than 3rd party software

Amazing how something so simple is avoided. Perhaps, this whole thing also has to do with use case that Windchill is the respected repository for all documentation in the business process.

In general whatever you want to do is be cautious adhering a business process to a tool you do not have control over, reduce total cost of ownership and process,

I would rather come up with a configuration that is neutral to anything mentioned.  In theory my previous posted ideas are not all customization, but does require knowledge of POP/SMTP/IMAP, filtering and forwarding content.  The fact that you can get information about the content using a workflow to generate a URL, send that text as a link in an email, and start that workflow when the Windchill content holder reaches a certain lifecycle state is mostly configuration. 

The second idea about using an alternate web server to fetch documents is fairly easy to do with Apache and the mod_rewrite module alongside

You are of course not allowed to customize anything that allows a fake windchill user to connect and download data. However, content in the vault is wide open provided no PTC licensed technology is used.

Using mod_rewrite to control access - Apache HTTP Server Version 2.5

You combine this with policy in Apache to take input passed along the URL, that makes the link valid only for a certain amount of time, one time, and be able to actually retrieve the file with an alternate filename from what is the filename inside the vault.  Only setback is the filename of downloaded content may be not the same unless it is passed as a parameter to Apache within the URL.

Whatever is passed to the URL should use something that severs access after a period of time or initial download using that access code. Many ways to do this, but the idea is whatever you pass should be able to identify the file you want from the vault through an encoded key that is translated [possibly through several rewrites] so it fails to identify the correct file after a certain period of time elapses.

RewriteQueryString - Httpd Wiki

On email, you control this entirely, but it would be much better to know what your operating system is to comment further.

For example on Windows:

Send Automated Emails Using SendEmail & Windows Task Scheduler

Allows attachments, you can send from the actual windows server running Windchill.

UNIX-like systems can do this as well as free e-mail systems like hMailServer, a favorite of mine.

Send email with attachment(s) from script or command line « \1

Additionally, this can be kicked off via workflow that executes something externally.

If all of this not a good idea thus far or need extra ideas...use a workflow robot to invoke, call, retrieve a URL with parameters.  That URL could go off and do a basic script at the operating system level of that web server...ftp the file, copy the file, query database, whatever.  If you know DOS on Windows, or willing to do Powershell. The server access log can be parsed by a scheduled task to do something you want, send an email, copy files, whatever.

Given I do not know the unique situation or skill level, I am trying to throw darts out there to answer the question and also make others who responded think more about what I am posting.

You could also pay for software already created, but then still have to configure that.

Cheers!

ddemay
1-Newbie
(To:ddemay)

I also should add, Apache can be configured to only permit users using LDAP-based group for the users who do not have permission or ability to access Windchill to further reduce risk.  These users also could be provided a encryption key that only works from their computer.

Anytime says no, I pretty much find a way around it.

BhushanNehe
14-Alexandrite
(To:tpfueller)

Hi Tom,

Are these objects released individually by workflow process, if so you can send the PBO as an attachment to non-Windchill users. 

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS20337

Regards,

Bhushan

Hi,

at first thank you very much for all these interesting answers.

Let me provide some feedback:

• Additional licenses: This would be one of the options, but I do not want to buy more licenses. There are two reasons. One reason is that I need to purchase another 50 licenses, which really would not please my boss because we already bought so many of them in the past. The other reason is that I do not want everyone in our company to access the PDMLink, which is in first place meant for managing the data of engineering department. This data approved by engineering shall be provided to other departments via file server or another method. Security is no issue, because the approved data is not very confidential. It can be shared across all colleagues of our company, but of course not to people outside of our organization.
  • Sending via Email:
    This option is not bad, but the data I want to send has a size around 100 MB. So file would be simply too big.

After seeing your answers my choice would be:

1. Checkout the PSW add-on from Etrage, which i wanted to evaluate anyway.
  2. Create a robot in the workflow that outputs the PBO to a file server (hope that is easy to do)
  3. Get the file directly from Vault via extra Apache server

My choice is based on the premise that i do have some money I can spent and looking for a convenient solution, but I do not have much time (and brain power) to setup a complex or individual solution.

Again thank you very much and kind regards.

Tom

Top Tags