cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

is there any tool like windchill entire cad file's version upgrade tool for solidwork

Sarathkumar_M
10-Marble

is there any tool like windchill entire cad file's version upgrade tool for solidwork

Hi All,

Is there any tool for windchill cad version upgrade tool available at Windchill ,

for example windchill cad file version solidwork 2020 version to solidwork 2024 need to upgrade , it possible to upgrade entire windchill solidwork files

i assume there is no tool at windchill  

Thanks 

Sarathkumar M

Sarathkumar M
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi All 

Thanks for Quick response and i appreciate 

for conclusion windchill PLM side there is no tool in solidwork cad file version upgrade tool 

Note : for information other PDM software have file version upgrade tool like solidwork PDM side, please find the below link

https://youtu.be/vFut5mwCNFM?si=G-FvU0l93KMsfKs3

Many thanks again for your response

Thanks 

Sarathkumar M

Sarathkumar M

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

I'm not sure I understand your question.  The CAD files stored inside of Windchill are never altered by Windchill, during an upgrade, or any other time.  Thus, there is no such thing as upgrading the CAD files inside of Windchill.  Upgrades are necessary to support the communications between the CAD system, Workgroup Manager, and Windchill.  Third-party CAD support is introduced with Windchill patches, updates, and upgrades.

Not every third-party CAD release requires an upgrade. Some can be accomplished with software updates.

Generally, PTC supports three versions of CAD with each Windchill release.

More may be supported, depending on the support life of the Windchill version.

Given you are trying to jump four releases, expect a little more than just a Windchill maintenance patch.

See the Windchill Workgroup Manager version matrix page.

Currently it shows SolidWorks 2024 is only supported with 13.0.1.1 and later.

However, PTC support for third-party CAD lags by several months.  Extrapolating based on past performance...
Given 12.1 is main stream until the end of 2025, PTC will probably support SW 2024 with it.
Since 12.0 end of life is this June, they may not support SW 2024 with it.
Nothing prior to Windchill 12.0 would be supported with SW 2024.

That said, past performance is not an indicator of the future and you need to ask PTC Tech Supt what their intentions are, not the community.

You should not need to do a bulk upgrade of your SW2020 files to SW2024 as Sw2024 should be able to open older files.

This has nothing to do with Windchill as Windchill is just the file vault with metadata for the SW files.

I assume you want to rebuild all your old(SW 2020) solidworks file with new(SW 2024) one. Unfortunately there is no tool for that.  

Users are supposed to do the rebuild for their files. The real problem is with library item. 

The only software that I am aware of that had an upgrade program for refiling the parts in the latest release was Unigraphics. When I was at a company using UG as the primary CAD tool, I would run the refile program on library parts only. This was when we were just using disk folders and scripts to control files to prevent changes to released files.

While most CAD systems have some statement about how old a file can be opened in the latest version, PTC states they only guarantee 3 version back, Some software really could open older versions than that. I know of UG V9 files that could be opened in NX8, about 18 releases. We have Wildfire 4 and 5 files that we open in Creo 9 here, which is 10 releases..

Hi All 

Thanks for Quick response and i appreciate 

for conclusion windchill PLM side there is no tool in solidwork cad file version upgrade tool 

Note : for information other PDM software have file version upgrade tool like solidwork PDM side, please find the below link

https://youtu.be/vFut5mwCNFM?si=G-FvU0l93KMsfKs3

Many thanks again for your response

Thanks 

Sarathkumar M

Sarathkumar M
Top Tags